How long for a recovery?

I'm contemplating a tummy tuck when I do a breast reduction. I'm a mom of 2 young boys and a job that requires a lot of my time although it's at a desk. Additionally I have a trip scheduled to Europe in July. When should I schedule the procedure? I'm nervous about the recovery time and being able to have a life. Travel, work, be a mom (not necessarily in that order). I see a dr May 9th.

How long for a recovery after "mommy makeover" surgery?

Thank you for the question. As you can imagine, the recovery experience will vary from one patient to another. Having said that, I would suggest that you arrange for at least two weeks of help for yourself and the children, at least 3-4 weeks before returning to a desk job, and two months before traveling for vacation.

Since you considering undergoing a major operation which again involves a significant physical AND emotional recovery ( often underestimated by surgeons and patients alike), a few words of advice may be helpful:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself) and that you have realistic expectations. Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life situation. You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.
2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.
3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.
4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina of your caretakers.
6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.
7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.
8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).
9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience.
10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.
11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.
I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Recovery after mummy makeover surgery

Its common in my practice to combine breast reduction and tummy tuck surgery.  Typically patients take around two to three weeks off work and heavy lifting and vigorous activity need to be avoided for six weeks after surgery.  With two young boys at home you will need some help in the early stage of your recovery.  You should consider your plans carefully before scheduling surgery.  If you have travel plans coming up you may want to schedule your surgery after your holiday so you can rest and recover at leisure.  The good news is that many, many people undergo these procedures and recover and return to normal activities very swiftly.

Tummy tuck and breast reduction

Yes, these procedures can be done at the same time.  It can take a week or two before you feel comfortable to go back to light work.  As far as traveling. giving yourself 8 weeks to heal is probably a good amount of time. Best of luck.

Recovery time - Mommy makeover - breast reduction - tummy tuck

Although everybody is a little bit different, most patients who have had a breast reduction in about a week (desk job). Tummy tucks are different. Depending if something else like liposuction or tightening of the muscles are included as well, you may want to calculate 2-3 weeks postop recovery. Plan for some assistance at home, no heavy lifting. After 6 weeks postop most patients will return slowly to their regular daily activities. You should discuss these issues with your surgeon . Her/or she will be able to give you a good outline what to be expected and what will be involved in your recovery period.

best wishes

Bianca Knoll, MD
Frankfurt Plastic Surgeon

How long for a recovery?

Thank you for your question.  For the procedures that you're contemplating, give yourself about 2 weeks for recovery before returning to a desk job and about 2 months before traveling abroad.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

How long for a recovery?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your breast reduction decision.  I would advocate at least two weeks for recovery time at home with some form of assistance, with return to work at about this period of time.  I would allow at least a month's recovery before entertaining extensive travel.  Hope this helps.