How long do breast implants last?

Impossible to say how long they'll last for you

Breast implants aren’t lifetime devices, but it’s impossible to say how long they last. It varies. Some patients need to have them replaced after a short period of time, while others never need to change them despite having them for decades. 

How long brest implant last

Some companies givr life time warrany but nothing last forever. Mordern implant usuall last 15 to 20 yeards. one can chnge it or remove it afterwards

Milan Doshi, MCh
India Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants

I will usually tell patients that there is a maintenance consideration to implant placement, and that over time a certain percentage of patients decide to have their implants exchanged or removed (due to a size change, capsule formation, etc) but indeed, I recently removed implants and exchanged implants in a patient with breast implants for 27 years.. 

How long do implants last

Thanks for your question. There is a notion that implants only last around 10 years. I believe this is based on old implants, and especially saline implants, which did have higher leakage or rupture rates. The outer shells and contents (for gel implants) are made to a much higher standard with newer implants, such that many of the implant companies give a lifetime guarantee on their implants not rupturing. Capsular contracture, on the other hand, can occur. This is the tightening of a capsule (scarring) around an implant, but the implant itself is usually fine. Again, modern implants claim to have lower capsular contracture rates, and I have certainly seen patients 20 to 30 years down the line whose breast augmentations are doing great.

Anthony Barabas, MBBS
Cambridge Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant lifespan

Breast implants like any other such as joints, heart valves, dental fillings, etc do not last forever and will likely need to be replaced at some point. It is difficult to say when, a small percentage may fail after 10 years- especially salines. Gels last longer, typically 15-20 years. But again, everyone is different.

An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon is recommended to discuss your options and expectations. 

How long do breast implants last?

There is a myth that implants will last only 10 years. There is no valid scientific data to support that statement. You should realize that no one can guarantee the life cycle of an implant, that it may not last forever and it may not be a one-time surgery. Implants do not need to be replaced unless a problem occurs or a patient desires a different size as they age and their body anatomy changes. There is no expiration date on breast implants. I have personally seen some patients who have had implants in for over thirty years and the implants are still intact. The newer generation of current implants has been improved. The implant manufacturers do have limited warranties on the implants.

Robert Singer, MDFACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants

Thank you for your question. Breast implants are typically long lasting. You should replace them anywhere from 15-20 years and sooner if there is a leak or damage to the implant. 

Hope this helps,

Dr. Newall 

German Newall, MD

Implants

Hard to say.  In 20 percent of the population, the implants need to be replaced at 10-15 years due to capsular contracture.  

I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Best wishes!

Dr. Desai

How long do great implants last

This is a great question and important.  Modern breast implants are designed to last a long time and theoretically could last for 30 years.  However the average time an implant stays in patients appears to be approximately 7 to 8 years.  This because some patients will end up having implants removed quite early.  The commonest reasons are capsular contracture and patient preference for a change in size or shape as time goes by.  Some other causes of breast implant removal include infection, implant rupture, deflation if saline, movement and seroma formation.

Alastair J. Platt, FRCS (plast)
Hull Plastic Surgeon

Diamonds are forever, what about breast implants?

No one knows exactly how long breast implants last. What we do know is that they won't last forever. We talk about a "rupture rate" over time. New implants are less likely to rupture compared to old implants. The older your implants, the more likely they are to be ruptured.

A rupture is a break or tear in the implant shell. If this happens with saline implants they deflate. If this happens to the silicone implants they don't change in size. Eventually with either your breast may contract or become painful. If that is the case, you don't need a bunch of tests--you need to visit with your surgeon and consider a change.

The fact is breast implants don't come with an expiration date. Most patients are not going to visit with the doctor unless they are having an issue with their implants not matter if they are ruptured or not. Remember, a rupture does not mean bad things are going to happen. Breast implants have proven to be quite safe.

An interesting perspective is that I have many patients who desire new/different implants with or without a lift many years after their initial procedure because they are looking for a change in the appearance or size of their breasts, and not because of problems related to breast implants.