Labiaplasty? Clitoral Hood Reduction? (photos)

So I have a large labia and large clitoral hood I was wondering if surgery would make it look better or worse. I want my outer labia to be fully closed so the inner labia doesn't not hang out. I've seen some pictures when the clitoral hood still sticks out.. Is there a reason for that? Can surgeons only take off some of the skin? I'm really self conscious so any feedback will be great. Thanks!

My advice, based on the pics provided, would be to leave things as they are. There is very little "excess" in my opinion, and you may well regret having this area operated. If it aint broke, don't fix it!

South Africa Plastic Surgeon

Yes it will help

Hello. Labiaplasty and a clitoral hood reduction would remove the excess tissue I see in your photos allowing for more comfort in tighter clothing and during intimacy. Be wishes
~Dr Poucher

Can't tell from your images

Your images make it look like you have small Labia Minorae as it is. I would need to examine you in person to determine whether I would recommend surgery. Too small can be a problem for some women. There are women who are better off without surgery. From your images I can't tell if you might be one of them. :)
Best Regards,
John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

A labiaplasty can definitely reduce the amount of labia minora tissue you have so that it doesn’t protrude as much. A clitoral hood reduction can be performed at the same time so the area looks more proportionate. However, the clitoral hood may still protrude but to a lesser extent. This is to avoid exposing the clitoris too much, which can lead to irritation and hypersensitivity. 

Labiaplasty? Clitoral Hood Reduction?

I avoid clitoral hood reduction unless there is an unusually large amount of excess hood skin because scarring can cause painful sex. The labia Minora-the "bluish" colored excess skin can be removed with the laser so that yje skin will not hang down below the Labia Majora when standing.

Enlarged labia and clitoral hood - is surgery needed?

Thank you for asking about your labiaplasty.
  • Since the enlarged labia minora bother you, you should have this corrected.
  • Many women find the excess labia minora interferes with exercise, is irritated with sex and even can show through tight clothes.
  • The clitoral hood can be reudced at the same time.
  • One always wants to leave some tissue - but it should lie as close as possible within the labia majora.
  • Find a plastic surgeon you feel you can trust and discuss your options.
  • Please note - many people claim to have invented special techniques - they tend to be minor variations of realiable procedures, so go with the surgeon you think is best for you, not some special technique.
  • But it is best to avoid surgeons who simply want to trim the edges - the wedge resections tend to have nicer results.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Clitoral hood and labia minora reduction

The clitoral hood can protrude for a variety of reasons. Excess tissue in either the horizontal or vertical direction is the most common reason. I have seen many patients with a enlarged clitoris causing the hood to stick out beyond the cleft of the labia majora. A prominent clitoral hood can be made worse by an aggressive edge resection of the labia minora. In my opinion, the modified wedge labiaplasty works best for women with a wide clitoral hood as the sides of the clitoral hood are narrowed and the projection (front protrusion) lessened. As far as the closure of the labia majora over the minora is concerned,  fat grafting or fillers to the labia majora may help. The majority of women after the age of 12 have some space between the labia majora.

Christine Hamori, MD

Labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction

I reviewed your photos. Your labia minora and clitoral hood are very enlarged. A labiaplasty with a clitoral hood reduction can reduce your size.  However, it must be performed by a surgeon with experience. One of the two most common labiaplasty techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks. It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed. Since you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood, it can be reduced at the same time. Your clitoral hood is thick, wide, and protuberant.  It can be decreased somewhat by reducing the sides.  I pioneered a clitoropexy with clitoral hood reduction in which the clitoris is pushed closer to the pubic bone and the width, thickness, length, and protuberance of the clitoral hood can be decreased.  No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery. Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

Labia minora and clitoral hood reduction

There is a wide variation on genital anatomy.  The size of the labia minora and the clitoral hood is relative to the size of the labia majora.  The labia majora are basically fat pads to protect the labia minora, the clitoris and the entrance to the vagina.  In slender women these fat pads are smaller due to the overall low body fat that the person has.   The patient then perceives that the labia minora is large because they protrude past the labia majora.  Based on the photos, this appears to be the situation here.   I think the labia minora could be slightly trimmed.   Clitoral hood reduction is tricky because you don't want the underlying clitoris to be exposed and then sensitive to clothing rubbing directly on the sensitive nerve endings.   Possibly a fat or filler injection of the labia majora and the mons above the clitoris would improve the balance.  Best wishes!

Lots of Options

Thank you for your question and photos.  You will undoubtedly get differing opinions from different doctors, especially because your anatomy is really quite normal, and that's OK; it's what makes RealSelf such a popular website and it also illustrates that there is often not a single "right" answer.  You should weigh the options and do what makes the most sense to you.  One option is to do nothing.  From the photos provided, it does not appear to me that your labia minora are that big; so if you get anything done, the surgeon should be very conservative and careful not to remove too much tissue.  My personal preference in your case would not be a wedge-type of resection, but a slight trim...UNLESS, you wanted to preserve the natural pigmentation changes, in which case a wedge would be the best option.  From the photos, it appears to me that your clitoris may be a bit above average in size - removing any of the hood will most likely result in exposure of the clitoral glans.  I would have to do an exam to know for sure, but I would probably not recommend hood reduction.  Enlargement of the labia majora is another option, which may address your concerns about having things "protruding."  That is best accomplished with fat grafting.  Those are the options that come to my mind - what you do is up to you.