Should my labia be trimmed? (photos)

19yrs. I have always felt insecure but unsure if I 'need' surgery. Please advise if I am larger than average. Have no children and have always looked like this.

It is always optional surgery

a labiaplasty is virtually never necessary but something you want to do so that you are more comfortable with your body. It is a relatively simple procedure which i do in the office with oral sedation. i usually tell my patients that they can return to work after 3-4 days, although some have gone back after 2 days because they were so comfortable. 

see a board certified PS to discuss your options.

david berman md

Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Should my labia be trimmed?

There is nothing wrong or abnormal.  Labiaplasty to reduce labial size is a personal decision.

Beverly Hills, CA

Labia Insecurity

There is no normal size or shape of the labia as each patient is different and labia mature and evolve with aging and childbirth. Asymmetry and unevenness are more the rule than the exception. Women seek labiaplasty to decrease the size of their labia minora for many reasons ranging from discomfort with intercourse and pinching in tight clothing to purely cosmetic reasons. The decision to have surgery and what should be done is highly personal. A detailed examination will help delineate the best surgical treatment to meet your goals. Consultation with a plastic surgeon would be the next best step.

Is this normal?

Based on the photo you have completely normal anatomy. There is a great degree of variation in appearance of this area among women. Like any cosmetic improvement, recommendation for surgery are guided by the patients goals; in short, if something doesn't bother you, leave it alone. If it something is objectionable to you then the next step is a formal consultation and a determination of whether or not your goals are realistically achievable and worth the risks, cost and downtime. I hope this is helpful.

Trimming of long labia

#Labialplasty is probably the most common of the #Vaginal Enhancement procedures. A candidate for a Labiaplasty procedure is concerned about the appearance of her labia or she may experience pain and discomfort from large, long or uneven labia; usually of the inner lips or labia minora. This may result in chronic rubbing, which leads to difficulty in wearing tight clothing , such as leggings; tight shorts and bathing suits can reveal a “Camel Toe” which can be corrected with treatment. Enlarged or uneven labia may have a significant psychological impact and severely affect normal sexual relations.

Decide for yourself

There is no “average” length when it comes to the labia and the shape and size varies greatly. Nobody has the right to tell you that you “need” surgery regarding this issue - it’s something you should decide for yourself. My patients undergo labiaplasty because of several reasons. One common reason is because their protruding labia causes them discomfort, irritation, and even pain when wearing certain clothes or when having sex.

Labiaplasty

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us. The decision on whether or not to have a labiaplasty is a very personal decision. In most cases, this procedure is an elective procedure for cosmetic or functional reasons. If your labia's do not cause you discomfort or any related pain during intercourse  then surgery may not be necessary.

Based on the photo you submitted, your labia's do appear normal with slightly elongated labia minora.    there is nothing wrong with them from an anatomical or aesthetic point of view.  However,  if they make you feel insecure then you should pursue a labiaplasty procedure. I would strongly recommend you find an experienced surgeon with whom you feel comfortable with.

Best of luck

Should I Have My Labia Trimmed?

Being insecure during intimacy can create a plethora of unnecessary problems.  Since this anatomic situation is distressing you, and since there is a relatively simple and safe technique for correcting the problem, if you were my patient, I would recommend a labiaplasty.

There are two basic techniques for labiaplasty, the Wedge or V technique and the Trim technique.  The Trim technique leaves one a scar the entire length of the labia, very often abnormal coloration, and quite often a very unaesthetic appearance.  The Wedge or V technique leaves a thin, very often imperceptible, scar on the outside of the labia minora and no scar on the inside of the labia minora.  The edge of labia minora maintains its normal appearance, often shows no dent, and has normal coloration.

Your picture also demonstrates you have a long clitoral hood which may be partially reduced if you so desire.  Fortunately, Boston has some amazing Board Certified plastic surgeons.  I recommend you see at least three of them to decide who is the most knowledgeable and who can give you the outcome you desire.

Labiaplasty

I reviewed your photos. Your labia minora are enlarged but not massively enlarged. Of most importance, they cause you discomfort. In that case, a labiaplasty is a good idea, but it must be performed by a surgeon with experience. One of the two most common techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks. It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed. If you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood, it can be reduced it at the same time. No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery.

Gary J. Alter, MD

Labia trimmed

Whether you need your labia trimmed is a personal preference. Many women with labia as long as yours have them trimmed. I would recommend that you have a modified wedge technique, such as the one I do, to give you the best aesthetic look. Do not have just anyone do the procedure; do your homework first and see their before and after photos such as the ones I have on RealSelf.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN