Too much? My concern is proportion. what should I ask @ follow up. Is there any thing they should fix?(photos)

Today I received 1 1/2 syringes of Juvaderm Ultra Plus. asked for a big pout /what I was planning on was to come back every few months to achieve this full look. Currently I have a 2 wk follow up; to fill in a few spots she chose not to do, due to bruising. Different docs recommended me start with half a syringe. This nurse said it all depends on your lip structure, you can never tell "how much" a persons lips will need /take until you have the needle in to get a feel for it, my lips "took" well

Lip Filler Swelling

Thank you for posting your photos with your interesting question. After receiving 1.5 syringes of Juviderm Ultra Plus today, lip swelling is common. I recommend that you wait 2 weeks to allow the swelling to resolve before you can accurately determine your final results. Before I inject the lips, particularly if it is the first time for the patient, I have them show me an example of the size and shape of the lips they want. Based on this, I can determine which product, how much filler product and where to inject it to achieve their goals. There are a few hyaluronic acid lip fillers available like Juviderm Ultra, Restylane Silk, Restylane, Juviderm Ultra Plus, which have different thicknesses.  Best wishes, Dr. Richard Swift 

Juvederm and lips

There is often a lot of swelling after filler injection, as is true in your case. I would wait two weeks to see how you look after the swelling goes down, then decide how to proceed.

Nicole Kafka, MD
New York General Surgeon

Lip filler

The lips will often get quite swollen with fillers.  I would wait a week or two to see how it settles before considering more.

Juvederm and Lips

The natural shape of your lip is quite nice but they seem very swollen from the filler.  I would wait two weeks to see how the lips "settle in" before having more product injected.  The uneven look may simply be swelling at this point.  Best, Dr. Green

Lip Filler Question about amount

Dear missmeowofsweden,

Thanks for the question. The standard of "lip beauty" is to have the upper lip be roughly 1/3 to the lower lip 2/3 proportion. Right now your upper and lower lips are approximately 1/2 each. Swelling after lip filler is common so definitely go back for a re-evaluation in 2 weeks. My opinion is that 1 1/2 syringes of juvederm is way too much. So I would wait it out/would not get more/even consider taking a touch out if the lip stays that big.
I LOVE injecting lips!! But my preference is to do just a little. You get a sexy pouty lip without anyone knowing that you did anything. Next time, you can ask your experienced medical injector to show you after 1/2 syringe or 1/2 syringe injected. You can work WITH your doctor and you can see how big your lip with be as you are being injected. There is no reason to be surprised at the end with how big your lip is.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Morgan Rabach, MD

Too Much Filler?

It's too early to tell what the final results will be. You still have a lot of swelling. But, you are correct that as of now the proportions look off and she did not taper the filler off smoothing from the middle out to the corners. You also need to make sure your top lip does not end up bigger than your bottom lip. 1.5 syringes of Juvederm Ultra Plus in one setting is a lot in my opinion. If you are still not happy with the way things look after 2 weeks then the filler should be dissolved with Hyaluronidase. Best wishes.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon