I had traditional lipo 20 yrs ago. Awful experience, hospital with drains not knowing where 2 days went. Need another option.

I would like to look into smart lipo? I looked into cool sculpting and was told I was too fiberous in the abdominal area and thighs ( only had lipo on abdominal) . Do you think smart lipo could be an option for me? I'm not severely overweight just have some target areas I can't loose (knees, abdominal, flank) . Help ??

Smart lipo vs traditional lipo

You should definitely look into Smart Lipo. It is a totally different experience and recovery. General anesthesia is not necessary, there is less trauma to the body, and often can return to work in 2-3 days. I have redone areas previously done by traditional liposuction with good results. The laser has the ability to break up fibrous tissue, which cool sculpting cannot.

Overland Park Family Physician

Smartlipo expectations

Thanks for your question. Your first experience 20 years ago with traditional liposuction is not the norm. Usually people do very well, even with liposuction alone. Smartlipo also uses traditional liposuction, but adds to it the use of a laser device to help minimize swelling/bruising, help break up the fat cells making them easier to remove, and can help tighten skin to some degree. Plus, this is done in an office setting making it very safe. To answer your question about whether or not it would help you is... it depends. It really would require an in-person examination. I'd suggest finding a plastic surgeon near you for a consultation. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Smart Lipo

Based on your description, you may be a good candidate for Smartlipo. Smartlipo is a more effective and minimally invasive alternative to traditional liposuction.  SmartLipo loosens then removes fat and tightens the overlying skin, reducing bulges of fat while simultaneously toning the body. It also offers tissue retraction through soft tissue coagulation, reliable, controlled energy delivery, reduced liposuction procedure time and patient downtime, less bleeding and bruising than traditional liposuction and high-definition body sculpting capabilities. Smartlipo also delivers precision and versatility with wavelengths that are ideal for smaller and larger fat deposits, tissue retraction, fibrous areas, or secondary liposuction cases. I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who offers SmartLipo to have a physical examination and review of your medical history to determine if you are a good candidate to undergo a SmartLipo procedure. Best of luck in your endeavors!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Smartlipo would be a good option

your much earlier experience sounds very atypical.  it is most unusual to require drains from liposuction alone.

i am a huge fan of Smartlipo for the correct patient. see a board certified PS who has a real interest in Smartlipo. i  have done over 630 Smartlipo cases in the office under local anesthesia with just oral sedation. Almost everyone returns to work the next day. however you need to be patient since you will continue to improve for 6 months.

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Smart Lipo could be a good option for you.  An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon who performs these procedures is recommended to confirm you are a candidate as well as discuss your options and expectations.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

When in Doubt--Go with VASER HI DEF, ThermiRF, ultrasound and fat grafting

This is hard to answer without pictures. I recommend VASER Hi Def liposuction with ThermiRF, ultrasound and fat grafting which will give you great results. VASER liposuction can sculpt and contour the body and results can be seen immediately. I recommend getting a formal consultation with a hi-def physique expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Liposuction

Liposuction has evolved greatly - smart lipo and/or Vaser ultrasound liposuction Allie for easier recovery and better results. Repeated liposuction can have some scar tissue, but these tools are quite helpful to improve prior poor results.

An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon who performs these procedures is recommended to confirm you are a candidate as well as discuss your options and expectations.

Smartlipo

story is a little strange. Even 20 years ago liposuction was mostly an out patient procedure without drains under either local or light sedation anesthesia. Whether it is laser assisted (which we use), or standard liposuction, find the right BCPS and it should be a very different experience. 

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon