I just got my augmentation and am afraid they will be too small after the swelling goes down. What do you think? (photo)

I'm 5 feet 118lb. Breast width is 12. I got 300cc, I want to be a full c and it looks like once the swelling go down I will be a small c. Is that true?  I'm a small B and looking to get medium c. I did 300 submuscular and I think I'm going to now get a smaller C. Any comments would be appreciated.

Will my breast implants be too small after swelling goes down?

Thank you for your question.  At this stage or breast augmentation result looks excellent.  Understand that the breast implants will fall into a more normal position underneath your breast and it is possible they will look bigger than they look now.  This early the breast implants are's bread over the chest by the muscle and attend to look less natural and in many cases smaller.

Did I go too small?

Dear Yellow,
thank you for your post.  
This is a common concern.  When you are swollen, not only is the breast swollen but your sternum is swollen too. Many times the breasts can actually look smaller with swelling since the tissue around the breasts, especially the sternum is swollen and the change from your sternum to you breasts is blunted.  300 cc is probably enough to go from a small b to a mid c, but only time will tell.  This is not the time to plan a revision.  Be patient and let all the swelling go away to make a decision.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

I just got my augmentation and am afraid they will be too small after the swelling goes down. What do you think?

I'm sorry to hear about your concerns after breast augmentation surgery. You should be aware that it is not unusual for patients to feel that they are “too small” or “too big”,  early on after breast augmentation surgery.  Most patients who feel this way ultimately are pleased with the results of surgery. Many patients who feel that they are too small immediately after surgery find, as the breast implants “drop and fluff”,  that the breasts actually appear larger to them.

I routinely ask my patients  to wait at least 3-6 months before   evaluating the end results of the breast augmentation surgery.  This waiting time allows patients to (uaually) physically and psychologically adapt to the new body image.  

There are both physiological and “psychological” reasons to wait on having  revisionary surgery. From the physiological standpoint, it takes many months ( and even up to one year) to see the final results of surgery. factors such as swelling,  tissue contraction,  skin redraping,  implant shifting etc. come into play.

From the psychological standpoint, patients undergo an “adaptation period"  during which time they get used to the changes that the surgical procedure has brought about.  Severe emotional swings can also occur after any type of surgical procedure.
Obviously, it is best for patients not to be making important decisions ( for example about the results of surgery and/or the need for additional surgery) while they are experiencing these emotional “ups and downs”. In the longer term, if you still remained displeased with the breast size, communicate your concerns with your plastic surgeon in a calm and constructive fashion. Together, you will be able to determine whether increasing breast size can be safely done. Remember not to communicate your goals in terms of achieving a specific substance, which can be a source of miscommunication. Best wishes. 

Augmentation and swelling

The breasts will change a bit over the next 3-4 months. They will get a bit smaller as the swelling subsides and they will settle some  more.  It is always hard to predict cup size.

Postoperative aug size

As the other experts have pointed out , don't obsess about cup size because all the bras are different depending on the maker, style etc.Also can be very different based on who measures you,and some studies show that most women are in the wrong size bra anyway! Based on on photo you could be a D now in many types of bras, so when the swelling goes down you are likely to be just right.
With that said a small percentage of women will occasionally change size up or down after they have lived with their plants awhile.No need for great concern now

Robert Savage, MD (retired)
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Cup size after augmentation

Loose rule of thumb, 200 cc is a cup size in volume, so 300 cc would be 1.5 cup sizes.  However, cup sizes in bras to not directly correlate to implant cc's since each manufacturers' bras are different.  i.e., you could be a "D" in one brand and a "C" in another brand, like your shoes and dresses.  You may wear different sizes.  If you don't like the final size in 3-6 months, then you canister changing them for larger implants.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Hello! Thank you for your question.  You appear to be very early in the postoperative period. You will have to await until swelling subsides and your breast settle in order to see your final result - usually 6-12wks. Wait for your final result, and then you can discuss with your surgeon. Given your photo, you still have some swelling and it appears that your plants needs to settle more into its pocket.  I did not see your preoperative appearance nor know your postoperative goals, but it appears as if you have a very nice result thus far with implants that fit your breast width well.

In general, implant size does not correlate with bra cup size. The cup size itself will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as who is doing the actual measurements. Thus, cup size is never a reliable indicator for your breast size. I typically encourage my patients not to communicate her desires in cup size but more on the actual look and appearance.

Hope me that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD