I just had liposuction 6 days ago; do I have to wear the compression garment?

The compression garment makes me feel dizzy, lightheaded and constricted. I do also have a compression shirt where I keep lipo boards under. Is this enough to wear without the compression garment or do I have to wear that also?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift!

Compression and Liposuction

Compression is essential to my post operative protocol including lymphatic massage, hyperbaric oxygen. I suggest you see an expert or speak to your physician.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Liposuction and compression garments

Thank you for your question. Swelling in the first week after liposuction is quite common. It's best to follow your surgeons specific advice post-operatively. We typically have our patients wear compression garments on the areas we did liposuction to help the skin and underlying tissues re-adhere as well as reduce swelling. However, if you garments are too tight they can restrict lymphatic drainage and blood flow leading to more swelling and complications. I'd highly suggest you contact your surgeon's office regarding your plan. Best of luck!

Liposuction - is the compression garment a necessity?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • It sounds as though your garment is much too tight.
  • A compression garment must be comfortable or not worn at all.
  • It is best to follow your surgeon's directions -
  • Let your surgeon know that you are using the compression shirt and boards, but not the garment and explain why.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Lipo and Compression Garments

It is always best to discuss any follow up instructions with your personal surgeon and to follow all these instructions for the best possible outcome. If you are only 6 days post op, then you for sure need to be wearing some type of compression garment on the areas that were treated with liposuction.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Compression garment

It sounds like your garment may be too tight. Best to discuss this with your surgeon. Good luck with your results.

Compression garments after liposuction

First of all, it looks like you got a great result!  While every surgeon has their own protocol for compression garments, I prefer that patients wear a well fitting compression garment for as long as they can tolerate it. The final result after healing, scar contracture and resolution of swelling may not be realized up to six months after the procedure.

Drew Schnitt, MD
Hollywood Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction/ Liposculpture/ Vaser/ Hi Definition Procedures

I appreciate your question. Please discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocols for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon