I would like to have labiaplasty because my excess labia are very uncomfortable. (photos)

This causes much discomfort during sex and during regular activities as I feel it gets pinched between my clothing. I also find I must take extra care with my hygiene. It did not always look & feel this way but after having 3 children via vaginal deliveries & perhaps aging as well (I'm 31) it's an uncomfortable mess. I have also noticed significant darkening on the labia and near the vaginal opening. What type(s) of labiaplasty would you recommend and will this help with the darkening as well?

Labiaplasty after mommy makeover

Childbirth and aging can definitely affect the appearance and shape of your genitalia.

Your labia minora may be reshaped with labiaplasty, which will improve your comfort. I perform a modified technique that respects the delicate tissues in the area and keeps the sutures hidden for a better aesthetic result. 

Extended Wedge Labiaplasty with Hood Reduction

100%, without a question, that's the right approach. Dr. Hamori is the best doctor in your area for this.
Don't go with a trim.
The other thing you'd benefit from is a perineoplasty, or vaginal tightening surgery. Not many plastic surgeons are doing this, but it is basically a posterior repair and would provide both functional (sexual) and aesthetic benefits. If this isn't a concern for you, then absolutely ignore the suggestion. Never feel pressured to do any surgery you're not fully comfortable with. Find Dr. Hamori. 

Candidate for labiaplasty

From your photo, you appear to be a very good candidate for labiaplasty which will reduce the excess tissue you have. I specialize in labiaplasty and many of my patients complain about similar things before they have surgery. In addition to patients feeling self conscious, many patients also have discomfort or see a bulge in their clothing. I truly feel that this surgery helps improve women's quality of life.
The rubbing and hanging are common complaints that patients have when seeking labiaplasty. I personally perform the trim technique where the edge is re-shaped and sutured. I think most women don't like the appearance of the edge which is often wrinkled and hyperpigmented. Please feel free to look at my before and afters to see what I mean.

Labiaplasty

After reviewing your photos, you could definitely benefit from a Labiaplasty.  However, it is best to go and see a Board Certified Plastic Surgery who specializes in this procedure, because there are various techniques to treat this.  In general, the procedures reduce the overall size of the labia and can be done as an outpatient procedure that would take no longer than 1-2 hours.  Thank you for your inquiry.

Labiaplasty

I reviewed your photos. Your labia minora and clitoral hood are enlarged. A labiaplasty with a clitoral hood reduction can reduce your size. However, it must be performed by a surgeon with experience. One of the two most common labiaplasty techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks. It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed. Since you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood, it can be reduced at the same time. Your clitoral hood is thick, wide, and protuberant. It can be decreased somewhat by reducing the sides. I pioneered a clitoropexy with clitoral hood reduction in which the clitoris is pushed closer to the pubic bone and the width, thickness, length, and protuberance of the clitoral hood can be decreased.

Your labia majora have stretched which resulted in excess skin. In addition, they probably have lost some fullness. You might consider reducing the excess skin . The technique I use leaves a scar on the inside of the majora in the fold between the majora and the minor and clitoral hood.

You should also consider a perineoplasty and possible vaginal tightening which can be performed at the same time. 

No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery.

Gary J. Alter, MD

Labiaplasty

It sounds like you could benefit from a labiaplasty, These procedures vary  in technique, but in general, they reduce the overall size of the  labia and can be done as an outpatient.  The procedure itself usually takes less than an hour.  Good luck.

"Would like to have labiaplasty"

Your story and concerns are in good company with almost ever other patient that undergoes labiaplasty and/or clitoral hood reduction (aka hoodectomy). Based upon your photos, your anatomy is very typical of someone who seriously considers having these procedures and experiences a major boost in (sexual) self-confidence thereafter.
Labiaplasty, which most commonly involves surgical reduction of the labia minora (inner/thinner lips), has become a relatively common procedure over the last ten and even more so last five years. Most commonly it is done under light sedation (aka twighlight sleep) with local anesthesia, in which case the patient should feel no pain during the operation. Whether the surgery is done using a laser, scalpel, or scissors does not really matter but what does matter is "symmetry". Symmetry is the most important aspect to the final aesthetic result. Most women, just like yourself, prefer to have as much of the darker pigmented edges removed as possible. Also, it's not how much tissue is removed but how much is left remaining because a certain amount is necessary to maintain proper form and function - typically ~10 mm or so. To achieve these three most important elements, I have found that the "Trim Method" satisfies best. It is extremely important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this operation (does at least 1 - 2 per week). It may cost you a bit more but it is this type of result you will want to live with for the rest of your life. Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $4500.

Although there is no guarantee, women frequently do seek clitoral hood reduction (Hoodectomy) to improve exposure of the clitoris and hence better stimulation during sexual activity. By removing some of the excess &/or redundant skin concealing the clitoris, it becomes more readily exposed to sexual stimulation and hence a heightened sexual experience/orgasm is possible. Sometimes I recommend adding hoodectomy to labiaplasty to better harmonize the aesthetic outcome. Again, the key is seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist who performs this procedure regularly (>2-3 x/month) so that just the right amount of tissue is removed and just the right amount remains such that the clitoris is not constantly exposed and rubbing on clothing, etc... Typical fee for a hoodectomy is ~$3000 but reduced to about half that price if done along with a labiaplasty.

Now for recovery, because the labia tissue is so robust with blood supply it has an amazing ability to heal relatively quickly. Most patients are sore for 4-5 days before things start to get a lot better from there. Some patients can resume work before this time depending upon their occupation. No exercise for two weeks, no baths/jacuzzi or swimming for 3 weeks, and no sexual activity for typically 4 weeks. My patients are given an oral pain medication such as Vicodin or Percocet but icing the area for the first 48 hours and applying some custom made take-home topical local anesthetic cream seems to work the best. Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD

Type of labiaplasty

Hi, thank you for your question!  Based on the photos you submitted, you would be a good candidate for both the trim and wedge techniques.  The trim procedure would remove excess tissue and most of the darkened skin you refer to, while the wedge procedure would remove the excess tissue with a little tightening but likely leave some of the darkened skin you don't seem to like.  I suggest you speak to your surgeon about both techniques and let him or her help you choose which one is right for you.

Labiaplasty issues

You are a good candidate for a labiaplasty from your photos and you have the complaints that many women who have labiaplasty also have.
The colored skin can be trimmed back with an incision along the margin but you would also be a candidate for a wedge type of excision.
Have you lost some fullness of the labia majora as well?  That may contribute to the prominence of the labia minora.
Likely your labiaplasty could be done in the privacy of the office with local anesthesia and oral sedation.

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty for Circumferential Hypertrophy

A complete assessment requires a careful examination of how the structures move when they are pulled in various directions in addition to an assessment of the perineum. The photos suggest the need for resection of tissue in the posterior midline which can be achieved by various techniques. I manage many of these with sculpted linear resections combined with clitoral hood reduction and in some cases colpoperineoplasty or perineoplasty.