I am explanting after a year and a half. Is the pain I'm experiencing normal?

I wanted to post and see if the symptoms I am feeling seem like the outcome of capsular contracture. It's been a year and a half since surgery and my back pain is definitely still uncomfortable but it's my ribs in front that hurt the most. It's a very exhausting, tightness feeling that I constantly feel the need to stretch or lay down to feel better. I have grade 4/5 capsular contracture in my right and 2/3 in my left last time I checked. Is the rib pain normal? Will it subside after explanation?

Capsular contracture

Usually the symptoms improve when the tight capsule is removed with the implants. Best of luck with your surgery.

Rib pain

In my experience with over 2500 explantations, these symptoms are due to scar tissue that is probably contaminated (capsular contracture is due to subclinical infection of the capsule).  Explantation alone may not resolve the back and rib pain.  You will need total capsulectomy, antibiotics, antifungals, and immune support in order to regain your health.

Susan Kolb, MD

Chest Pain

Yes, it is likely your rib pain is due to your capsular contracture.  However, with this being said, there is no guarantee that it will go away after capsule removal.  I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

#Explant #BreastImplantRemoval - Is the pain I'm experiencing normal?

It is not normal to have this degree of pain, particularly on the back (although the larger the implants, the more likely this could be contributing).  With capsules, though, the rib pain makes somewhat more sense.  You should in any event be seen in person by one or more board-certified plastic surgeons, and not rely alone on information from this site.  Removing the implants should help to some degree; there is debate as to the contribution of the capsules to symptoms such as these.  Removing the capsules is not without morbidity; there is a greater risk of bleeding, scar tissue formation, adherence, etc., depending on how much of your own tissue you have.  These and other considerations need to be discussed in person for a full and complete assessment and recommendations.  I hope that this helps and good luck.  Dr. Alan Engler, Member of #RealSelf500

No, this is not normal.  Contact your surgeon for an in person exam to find out what is going on.  At a year and a half, the explant should not cause these problems.  Perhaps the pain is unrelated to your surgery.  An evaluation is needed.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD