I had a breast lift and implants, now I want them removed. Will my breasts be saggy again?

Hello. I had a breast lift performed about 2 years ago. I had implants put in about a year ago. I am not sure on the specific size, but I increased by almost 2 cup sizes. I want to get the implants removed as they are just too large and are not flattering. If I do this, will my breasts look deflated because the skin has stretched out? Or will they return to how they were before the implants were put in? I'm not sure what to do! I don't want them removed if my breasts are going to appear droopy.

#Explant #BreastImplantRemoval - Will my breasts be saggy?

In general, the longer the implants have been in, the larger the size, specifics of your skin type, weight changes, etc., all contribute to what you will look like after your implants are removed.  You could reasonably expect that the skin will be stretched out to some degree.

That being said, since you've already had a lift then even if you had to revise it - ie, tighten the skin - you might not have to have any additional scars, which is the major drawback (surgically speaking) from removing implants.

But maybe smaller implants would be a good compromise?  You should meet with your PS and go over the various options, including the costs for each, after which you can make a more informed decision.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of #RealSelf100

Implant removal

Without knowing specifics of how big the implant you have and seeing pictures of what your breast looked like before the implants were placed, it is not accurate to make a statement one way or another. It is also an option to go with a smaller implant or revise the lift.

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

It is hard to say for sure if your skin will retract back to how it was before implants. In some cases the skin shrinks considerably, while others who have thin skin with large implants don't retract as much. You could consider downsizing your implants. By downsizing you have a better chance at keeping some of the upper fullness.

Michael E. Ciaravino, MD

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast augmentation surgery.  Especially without physical examination or viewing photographs, no one can predict with certainty, what you can expect after breast implant removal.

Generally speaking, what your breasts will look like after explantation depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back), the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation).

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

Patience is definitely indicated after removal of breast implants; it will take many months for the skin to “bounce back” and for you to see the final appearance of the breasts.
Consulting with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons in person may be helpful. The attached link ( dedicated to breast implant removal surgery concerns) may be helpful to you as well.

Implant removal

It is difficult to say if your breasts will look okay after implant removal.  They obviously will be deflated. The lift may be ok in terms of nipple position.  Best of luck.

Without examining you it's difficult to predict what will happen when your implants come out, but removing that much volume is likely to cause some degree of drooping. The only way to know for sure is to book a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon near you to be examined. Best of luck! 

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Thank you for your question.  There are several variables that influence the odds of your breasts going back to the appearance before augmentation.  It sounds like you had a lift because they were sagging.  If your tissues became loose and required a lift to correct then it is more likely that after removal of implants they will appear saggy again.  Some of the factors influencing the return to size of your breasts are your age, the quality of your skin, the laxity of your tissues, the size of the implants, and the type of lift you had performed.  

I would start with with a face to face consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has experience in breast surgery. During your visit your surgeon should be evaluating your health to determine if you are a good surgical candidate and examining your tissues to get a sense of what type of procedure your tissues will allow. Only with a hands on exam can this be determined. During the consult you and the surgeon should be understanding of the goals and realistic outcomes of your choices. Once an exam and opinion is rendered then you can decide if surgery is right for you. Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Implant removal

Due to the volume loss when the implants are removed, the breasts will have a different appearance.  At first they may look somewhat deflated.  Depending upon the size of the implant and the elasticity of your skin, the breasts will recover to some degree, how much is not known.  You can expect to see your new baseline look at about 6 months post removal.  Good luck.

Camille Cash, MD