I am a 34b wanting 34D. Prefer a teardrop shape (silicone). I will have $5500 saved up. (Photo)

I am a 34b wanting 34D..prefer a teardrop shape (silicone). I am paying cash and saving for surgery for January. I also would like a tummy tuck either with the augmentation or after (depending on approx cost) I am still in my weightloss and fitness training stage. I live in Boston. Any information would be great as Im ready to put down a deposit. Thank you!

Mommy Makeover - Am I A Candidate?

Thank you for your question and photos. You appear to be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck and breast augmentation surgery. The abdominal skin excision and muscle tightening could give you an excellent contour as well as improve the tone of the anterior abdominal wall. Liposuction could be used to better define your flanks and hips at the time of tummy tuck surgery. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination to discuss the specific details of the procedures. Ask to see before and after photos to get an idea of what can be achieved. Hope this helps!

Teardrop implants

Hello, it sounds like you already have a good idea of the type of implants you desire and have put a great deal of thought into the procedure.  I hope you find an experienced PS who can meet your goals.

Mommy makeover?

You didn't say if you you have had kids, but what your looking at is a mommy makeover. Patients who have not had kids sometimes consider these surgeries after massive weight loss which may be your case as well. Your PS  will have to examine you to see if implants alone will do the trick, and guide you toward the best tummy tuck. I tend to prefer smooth silicone implants because they are softer and take on a teardrop shape any way. Your PS may have a personal preference. I am not in your area, but in my location a tummy tuck runs about $8000. Silicone implants average about  $ 6500 and saline is less. If you are able to combine your surgeries, when safe, there are also some cost savings as well.

On my site linked below are the FAQ most of my patients ask regarding Breast implants and tummy tuck. I hope you will find it helpful. Best wishes.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

I think that you are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  An abdominoplasty can be performed at hte same time.  

I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Best wishes!

Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

TABA- transabdominal breast augmentation

For a patient that does not have a lot of sag of the breasts and do not need a lift, I can place the implants through  a tummy tuck incision without leaving any incisions on the breast itself.  Best of luck!  I have a video on this subject on my website.

Mommy makeover question

Hello and thank you for the question and the photos. Based on the photo, you are a good candidate for both breast augmentation and tummy tuck. Your photos show a degree of loose breast skin or sagging. This is not the ideal situation for using the tear drop type implant. 
I would suggest for you to consider a round implant with a lift. 

You need to factor about 2 weeks off of work and a month out of the gym for recovery. 

You should have several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons before making any final decisions. 

As always, best to be healthy, no smoking, and make sure any health concerns you have are managed by your primary care md. 

Best to you.

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation and a tummy tuck.  The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Tummy tuck and breast augmentation surgery concerns…

Thank you for the question and picture.  All wise and achieving your long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with surgery. When the time is right, I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. 

***Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

I would also suggest that you do not base your selection of plastic surgeon primarily on costs of surgery; keep in mind that revisionary surgery may be more costly in many ways.

These days there are a variety of breast implants available; the variety of breast implant available raise a lot of questions from women considering breast augmentation surgery. Personally, I think that for most patients considering breast augmentation surgery, careful selection of plastic surgeon and careful communication of goals, far outweigh the specific type of breast implant utilized (when it comes to the success of the breast augmentation procedure).

Anatomical breast implants were designed to better simulate the natural breast shape; the problem with these implants is that if they shift or rotate, the entire breast will change shape as well. This change in breast shape may require further surgery to correct. Round implants, under the hand, can shift or rotate without changing the shape of the breasts. Overall, I find that beautiful outcomes can be achieved with the use of round saline or silicone gel breast implants for the vast majority of patients.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Breast augmentation and possible TT.

Thank you for your photo.  A breast augmentation will help increase your breasts volume, which has decreased from your weight loss.   Choosing a breast implant whose width is close to the width of your breast will give you the most natural appearing and proportional augmentation and you should be able to achieve a D cup.  When considering your choice of silicone breast implants, there are options.  Smooth vs textured, round vs tear dropped shaped.  While all are used, you should be aware of the results of the latest studies from the American Society of Plastic Surgery meeting in Los Angeles which show there is no difference between the visual appearance of breast shape after a smooth, round implant is placed vs when a textured, tear drop shaped implant is placed, that is, the results are the same.  However, there are some potential issues with the tear drop shaped implants.  First, tear drop shaped implants must be textured to keep them from rotating, which would change the breast shape and contour and require another surgery to correct.  Even with the texturing, there are cases of the textured implants rotating.  This is not an issue with smooth, round implants as no matter how they rotate they look the same.  Second, there is evidence that the texturing on the surface of the implant traps more bacteria and can lead to a higher rate of future problems such as capsular contracture and ALCL.  Third, the tear drop shaped implants cost more.  The statement from the fore mentioned meeting was that, if the results are no better and there is a greater potential for future problems and they cost more, there is simply no reason to use the textured tear drop shaped implants.  Regarding your wish for a TT:  I would always recommend you obtaining the weight you want prior to proceeding.  That said, your photo shows you are normal proportion and fit.  A TT can be done at the same time which decreases your cost and gives you one recovery instead of 2.  If you wish to discuss this in more detail please contact me.