Horrible genetic bags under my eyes at age 20 - what can I do? (photos)

I get compliments on my blue eyes all the time, they are one of my favorite features. But, within the past year or two, I have noticed my eye bags getting worse and they are sometimes so bad I want to wear sunglasses to hide them! I just turned 20 years old so I am too young to have such puffy, creased under-eyes. Even when I have less-puffy days and the bags aren't as full, whenever I smile they crease horribly.

Eye bags

I WOULD TRY FILLERS BEFORE GOING IN AND DOING SURGERY , THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FAT TRANSFER AND FILLERS ARE FILLER ARE LESS INVASIVE AND CAN LAST 6-9 MONTHS SOMETIMES UP TO A YEAR DEPENDING ON WHICH ONES. FAT TRANSFERS ARE USUALLY SURGICALLY DONE WITH LIPO AND TRANSFERRED TO ANOTHER AREA OF THE BODY. A FAT TRANSFER CAN ALSO BE DONE THROUGH A LOCAL AFTER SURGERY FOR A REPEAT FAT INJECTION. FAT INJECTIONS OR TRANSFERS ARE USUALLY MORE PERMANENT. THIS IS SOMETHING THAT YOU MAY WANT TO SPEAK TO YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT IN A CONSULTATION AND SEE WHAT YOUR OPTIONS ARE.

Under Eye Bags

Thank you for your question.  Under eye bags can be improved in young patients with many good treatments other than surgery.  Injectable fillers, laser resurfacing and PRP injections can help improve bags and wrinkles.  Surgery is also an option but you may want to wait until you are older.

Jessica Lattman, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Horrible genetic bags under my eyes at age 20 - what can I do?

You can consider lower blepharoplasty, specifically transconjunctival lower blepharoplasty with fat repositioning, which achieves natural long-lasting results. See following video and link below. Another option may be filler injection. 

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Under Eye Rejuvenation with fillers, lasers, microneedling/prp

Fillers, lasers, and microneedling/PRP can improve under eye bags. My patients try to get non surgical treatments to avoid surgery. We use PRP and stem cells there often. I suggest consulting with an expert to develop a treatment plan best suited for your short and long term goals. Best, Dr. Emer.

This issue can be benefited by under eye fillers.

I personally use Restylane for this purpose.  You might be a candidate for lower eyelid surgery but that may nor may be right for you based on an actual consultation.  You can put your finger on top of your bag.  If the bag is firm, it is caused by your orbital rim and you are going to better with fillers.  Look for a very experienced injector for this treatment.

Eye Bags

From your photographs it doesn't appear as if you have real bags. Your eyelid skin is probably dehydrated which can cause it to look a little wrinkly. You also have a prominent muscle bulge at your lower eyelid margin with an area of relative hollowness below. I would recommend you start with a good hydrating eye cream and possible retinol to help improve the elasticity and hydration of your skin. If that doesn't work, you should then consider dermal fillers to help improve the hollowness.

Of course you should seek the opinion of an experienced cosmetic specialist that can examine you in person and explain all of your options.

David Schlessinger, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eye bags

It is hard to tell from the photos you sent, but I only see a mild amount of excess fatty tissue under your eyes. I suspect you are a better candidate for lower eyelid fillers at this stage, which should last 1-2 years or more. If the puffiness gets worse, you can always have lower blepharoplasty surgery down the line. My goal is always to treat patients in the least invasive way possible. Many patients need surgery, but in younger patients such as yourself, filler injections are often a good option.

Mitesh Kapadia, MD, PhD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon