Fat distribution after liposculpture?

Waist-up I am pretty thin. I'm healthy and exercise 3 times a week. Fat is not noticeable other than hips/thighs and doesnt seem to go away despite being fit in other body areas. I have a question about fat distribution: If before lipo I eat X calories/day (and apparently that is causing me to have fat storage mainly only in my legs), once I get a lipo and I keep eating X calories, now that the fat storage in legs is gone, will I get more fat redistributed in other areas, like belly, etc?

Gaining Weight After Liposuction May Redistribute Fat

That's a good question. Once the fat cells have been removed from your thighs, if you consume more calories than you burn, the fat will probably migrate to other areas with more fat cells, resulting in a new fat distribution. If you are going to have a procedure like liposculpture I would strongly advise you get be comfortable and consistent with a healthy diet and exercise regimen so that you can get maximal benefits without new weight gain. Best, Dr. Emer

Gaining Weight After Liposculpture May Result in New Fat Distribution Pattern

Liposculpture permanently removes fat cells from your body in the treated areas. However, if you continue to consume more calories than you burn, you will still gain weight. Because there are fewer fat cells left in the area that was sculpted, the fat cells in other areas of your body will expand. Ideally, you should control your calorie intake through proper diet and exercise so that the good results of your liposculpture can be preserved and you will not develop new problem areas. Please consult a board-certified dermatologist to learn how you can get the most out of liposculpture.

Douglas Wu, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Fat distribution after liposculpture?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Fat redistribution

Hi Amanda –There are far fewer fat cells in the areas where a patient used to be bulgy, and so a weight gain will instead plump up the fat cells in new locations. It is not uncommon to experience weight gain disproportionately in untreated areas. This may give the impression that the fat is coming back in other areas.

After puberty, most of us gain weight by storing more fat in the fat cells we have, not by getting more fat cells. So the untreated areas will be able to store more fat than the areas that have been treated with liposuction. If you maintain your weight following Liposculture, other areas of the body should not enlarge as a result of procedure if you gain weight post the surgery, you may gain weight disproportionately in other body areas. To better manage this, one must continue to control calorie intake after the procedure.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. SculpSure is a fantastic option for eliminating subcutaneous fat. In a comfortable 20-minute in-office treatment, this cutting edge procedure can reduce up to 25% of that unwanted belly fat that tends to be stubborn to exercise and dieting. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat distribution

The fat cells you are troubled by are particularly sensitive to weight gains.  Once they are gone, fat will be more evenly distributed.  You need to keep your diet so you don't gain weight.

Lipo / hips / thighs

This does not necessarily have to happen. Once we make a removal of fat cells in that area it is very difficult to again accumulate fat in that area.

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Fat distribution following liposuction

You describe yourself being more of a pear shape, which is normal for female fat distribution and still considered a feminine shape. However, modern trends favour more sporty female bodies with narrow hips and thighs. You seem to lead a healthy life style, which is excellent.
If you have fat removed from your hips and thighs by means of liposuction, like Vaser you will get more of a shape you want.
However, fat cells still can fluctuate in size with weight gain or loss, and they will do so in all areas of your body, although treated areas tend to be affected last. So in another words you might notice weight gain in other than treated areas first before your hips and thighs. So knowing your calorie requirements and intake are paramount to sustain the shape.