Will face return to its pre-suture lift state over time?

I had a Silhouette suture lift about 6 months ago. The sutures were anchored to my deep fascia, but I had the knots (tension) cut at 6 weeks because I didn't like the results. My Dr. told me that some of the lift would remain because my face healed in that position for 6 weeks, and this is true, but that it would go back to normal over the next year. Is this true or will my face have a new normal? Has anyone had experience with older thread lifts who may be able to tell me their experience?

Thread lifts

Without exception, I have never seen a patient happy with these. Maybe my practice is biased but I see a lot of people who have had these quick fix lunchtime procedures who seek correction or a proper facelift after minimal or short lived results. I counsel all patients to avoid them. They come around in cycles with new names and lots of compelling marketing but just don't work. Conceptually they are flawed as are their results.

London Facial Plastic Surgeon

Suture Lift

Thank you for your question. Yes, your face should return to the pre-suture lift state. I wouldn't expect that the now-removed sutures caused any significant fibrosis for permanency. I hope this helps!

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Post thread lift

I would think over time, as swelling subsides, gravity will win out and your face should return back to its pre operative appearance. Best to be followed by your operating surgeon during this period of time to be sure this happens.

Thread Lift / Silhouette Lift/ Suture Lift Results

I have never put much faith in any form of suture lift because the procedure is ill-conceived by design.  Conventional face lift procedures release, mobilize and then reposition the soft tissues of the face and neck.  On the other hand, suture-lifts place the soft tissues of the face under tension, opposed by the ligaments that anchor the face to the bone. Under tension the sutures will eventually pull through the soft tissues of the face, which quickly returns to its old shape and position. A good analogy is a cheese cutter (wire) that easily pulls through the softer cheese.  I do agree that your face will return to normal over the next 6-12 months. Best wishes.

Brock Ridenour, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thread Lift/Suture Lift

The thread lift procedure does not offer permanent results and this should be made clear to patients during the initial consultation.
Lifting and tightening results last approximately 18 months, but can last longer depending or indeed less depending on the individual patient.
Many of my patients who undergo a Soft Thread Lift use the procedure to delay a face lift or see the effect and permanent results that a facelift can offer.

Suture lift

Bad news:suture lift only many times don't work to patients satisfaction,Good news:they frequently don't last so should settle over time unless permanent sutures were used then some changes might persist

Robert Savage, MD (retired)
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Thread Lift

I have not been impressed with the results of thread lifts. They typically don't provide much lift and don't last. In addition, I have treated a number of complications including infections and extrusion of the threads (knots at the surface of the skin).
It is difficult to predict what to expect long-term. It is likely that most of the lift or pull of the skin will relax over time.

Sean Maguire, MD
Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Suture lift

I believe it will go back with time. mini lifts in all their variations give minimal results and last a minimal amount of time. 

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Beware of miniaturized facelifts.

A well executed full facelift gives predictably good results and is very safe. Shortcuts can be attracted that often times disappoint. Correction of your issue probably will demand a full facelift.

Silhouette Lift's minor benefit disappear in 6 to 12 months

t In my opinion the Silhouette Lift's minor benefit disappear quite quickly and 100%.  I strongly believe patients would benefit greatly by saving their hard earned dollars and have a real facelift.  This may mean waiting a few years possibly but the benefits are significant.    My Best,  Dr C