Exercise after BBL and Liposuction?

Hi! I had A bbl and liposuction done on 11/09, I asked my doctor how soon I could return to the gym and he mentioned 3 months. I trust him but think he is being a bit too careful. I feel great, I'm not in any pain and barely have any discomfort. Would it be okay for me to return to the gym and at least work on my arms, upper back and legs? Also, could working out compromise my BBL results?

Brazilian Butt Lift/ Fat grafting/Liposuction/ High Definition Procedures/Butt Implants

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Exercise after BBL

Thank you for your question. It is always best to listen to your surgeon's post-op instructions as they know more about your case. I typically tell my patients it is best to resume strenuous activities such as exercise 4 to 6 weeks following surgery. Avoid straining or any aerobic activity for at least 3 weeks after surgery. This is to avoid bleeding, bruising, and swelling. Your doctor will give you clearance to increase your activities according to the progress of your recovery. 

Hope this helps,

Dr. Newall 

German Newall, MD

Exercise after BBL and Liposuction?

While some surgeons will have different recommendations, I would always follow the advice that your surgeon gave you.

BBL

I would follow the instructions of your plastic surgeon seeing as every surgeon will have a slightly different post operative protocol for their patients based on their beliefs, technique and experience. I recommend that my patients wait at least 6 weeks before easing back into their regular fitness routine but it is important to remember that it may take some time to return back to your prior strength. You want to be cautious of the workouts you are doing and your nutrition. Too much cardio and a low calorie diet can cause weight loss. An important key to long lasting results after a BBL is maintaining a stable weight. If your weight fluctuates too much then this can affect your results. If you maintain a healthy, balanced lifestyle without losing or gaining significant weight then you should be able to see long lasting results from your BBL. Best of luck.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

BBL postop instructions

Each surgeon has his own post-op instructions, so it remains in your best interest to stick to your doctor's recommendations. 

In general, I require my patients to avoid prolonged and excessive pressure on their buttocks (sitting directly on the surgical site) for at least three weeks to promote high survival rate of fat grafts and to prevent inadvertent shifting that can lead to asymmetry.

Good luck and best wishes. 

Gym after surgery

Thank you very much for this interesting enquire.

Postoperative care after a  BBL + Lipo are very important to get the best results.
Generally speaking, the average patients, exercises tend to allow two weeks after PO, gradually: first, gentle walks without sweating, then, you can go to the gym to do aerobics, and, after four months you can stats with machines excercise and start with light weights, and, if there are no problems, only six months after PO may charge "free weights".

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

BBL

I recommend to my patients to wait about 3-4 weeks after a BBL, but you should follow your surgeon's recommendations.

Exercise after BBL and Liposuction?

In my practice patients return to normal activity around week 5-6. Every patient is different. Please follow up with your doctor as these issues require the attention of a plastic surgeon.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Working out after surgery

With this procedure I usually have patients wait about 4 weeks, then slowly start back at the gym. I don't see any reason why you couldn't workout your upper body. I would recommend discussing this again with your surgeon, each surgeon has specific recommendations they give and it is usually for good reason. Good luck with healing.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon