Early cheek drooping? (Photo)

I've noticed a sagging in my face. I have small cheek bones and I am a runner and I've heard this can contribute to early drooping. What are some ways to go about helping the problem? I notice like a legitimate sag in the upper cheek where it's basically a line dividing the flat under eye area to the cheek. When I was 20 for example I didn't have this. If I use a filler it will just fill in the area when I want the sagging lifted however don't want to undergo too much surgery at my age

Hi Styledances

There are many options. Fat loss may the cause (especially in a runner).  A small amount of filler should correct that, though there are other procedures that can be done in the office (such as a cheek implant) that would be permanent.

I'd suggest seeing a facial plastic surgeon for the best suggestions.

Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma for Cheek Augmentation

Dear styledances:

Looking at your photos and taking your question into context, you would would benefit from cheek filling with Voluma which has great longevity for a filler as well as great projection.  Please see an expert injector for best results.  All the best.

Cheek volume restoration

Hi and thanks for Your question. Sagging of skin in mid face and cheeks is mostly due to volume loss and fat redistribution. You are an excellent candidate for filler injection under the eye ,mid face and cheeks.

I suggest you to see an expert physician for consult

Reza Akef, MD
Toronto Physician

Midface volume loss

Thanks for your question. The crease you are showing represents a slight separation (anatomical) between the fat pad directly under the eye and another below the crease. It is a fairly common occurrence often seen with skin laxity/age related changes, but sometimes even seen in very young people. A relatively small amount of dermal filler placed in the cheek (one or more levels) can 'bring things together' to eliminate the shadowing under the upper fat pad. Many different brands of dermal filler can be used for this purpose. Over time the injection will need to be repeated to maintain the correction. Once you are comfortable with your injector and know the look you want, you can consider switching to Bellafill, the 5 year filler. Bellafill contains medical micro-spheres (20%) and collagen (80%). The micro-spheres do not dissolve over time and stimulate collagen to form around them. Think of it like filler/mini implant. It is more expensive per syringe up front but over time it is the most economical because you will touch it up much less often than traditional filler. 

Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician

Loss of volume

The sagging in your photo is due to loss of volume of the fat pads in the face.  There are multiple fat pads that give shape and support to the face.  Over time, volume is lost from these fat pads and they shift downward due to the effects of aging (loosening of the ligaments and thinning of the musculature of the face) and gravity.  Fillers are an excellent way to restore a fuller, more natural contour without surgery, especially if the facial skin is in good condition, which yours appears to be.  Good luck to you!

Suzan McGary, MD
Williamsport Thoracic Surgeon