Would Dermal Fillers be an effective for the acne scarring on my cheeks? (photos)

I tried fractal laser therapy but it didn't help much and was quite painful and ineffective.

Can dermal fillers be effective for acne scars...

I am sorry to hear that Fraxel laser was ineffective. Acne scars in general are very hard to treat and need a multi-modal approach. Certainly any fillers can fill acne scars, but they are not long lasting. Bellafill® is indicated for the correction of  moderate to severe, atrophic, distensible facial acne scars on the cheek and is a long lasting filler. Find an experienced physician injector who has performed Bellafill for acne scar treatment.

Acne scars respond best to combination treatment

Acne scars respond best to combination therapy. Bellafill is the only facial filler approved by the FDA for acne scars. It is combined with subcision (breaking up subcutaneous scar tissue with a cannula or needle) and typically helps, especially with “rolling” acne scars.  In addition to subcision and Bellafill, microneedle treatments address the surface irregularities of acne scarring.  Microneedle treatments are done in a series several weeks apart and produce a cumulative improvement in pigmentary and textural changes associated with these scars. Good luck! 

Gerald Pierone Jr., MD
Vero Beach Internist

Dermal Fillers and Acne Scars

Dear djm5493:

Yes, dermal fillers like Juvederm would be effective on some of your acne scars seen in your photos.  I would also recommend use of TCA in the appropriate areas.  Please see an expert.  Best wishes.

Acne scar treatment

Hi and Thanks for your question.A combination therapy of fillers and an ablative laser would be the best.

You will get a good result even with ablative laser

Reza Akef, MD
Toronto Physician

Acne Scarring and Face

A combination of fillers and lasers would be the best combination to treat these acne scars.  I would use eMatrix, TCA, and fillers like Bellafill or Restylane for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Treatment of Acne Scarring

Thanks for your question. Treatment of Acne Scarring is best achieved with a comprehensive approach. It begins with skin conditioning- you have an oily skin type and this needs to be brought under control, and your thickened stratum corneum needs to be addressed. A medical grade skin conditioning regimen would include retin A, retinol, glycolic acid in the products, etc... The ZO Medical (Dr. Obagi) Acne tratment line is excellent. 

A couple of Hydrafacials would help as well, with peel solution up to 15 or 30% which is part of the hydrafacial. This will help your home skin care penetrate better. If we need to do a deeper peel, we use the VI Precision Plus peel (a TCA peel). With the dead skin cell layer diminished one can see better what is there plus the skin will better tolerate interventions such as skin resurfacing (laser or RF) and they will work better too.

You have multiple types of scars. The ice pick ones are the hardest to treat. Box car and rolling scars easier. Scars that look better when you gently spread the skin between two fingers are more superficial and respond better. Consider subscision in experienced hands along with Bellafill dermal filler. This will give you a superior result over the Restylane and Juvederm products and will be well worth the added cost. Most of my clients who tried the latter fillers (Restylane, Juvederm) before coming to me for Bellafill for acne scars were not impressed with their results but did very, very well with Bellafill.

Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician

Filler for acne scar

Thanks for your question.  A filler such as Juvederm can be injected into the depressions.  I would suggest injecting Platelet Rich Plasma into the area.  The natural healing effect of the platelets has been quite successful on acne scarring such as yours.  It may not get rid of it completely but I have seen marked improvement on your type of scarring. It may take two sessions a few weeks apart but would be worth trying. Hope this helps.

Dr Odell

Dermal fillers for acne scars

dermal fillers definitely help reduce atrophic acne scars by filling them up as well as helping grow new collagen. The process of doing the filler also requires needle sticks into the scar tissue which functions to subcise and improve the scars. Seek a great board certified dermatologist with experience in this area to help. 

Rebecca Baxt, MD
Paramus Dermatologic Surgeon