Correction of hypertrophic scar and stitch scarring? (Photo)

I got implants and lift to correct tuberous breast at the end of March. I now have ugly and wide uneven, still puffy areolas but also a scar that goes around them which prevents me from wearing blouses without a bra because you can see where my areolas are. I want to correct this. Is this costly? And I have also lost some sensation, do you suggest cutting my areolas reducing the size and will this correct my scarring? What bothers most is uneven position and scarring and size of them

Doctor Answers 1

Scarring After Periareolar Breast Augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi and thank you for your question.  I think that you have two options as this point.  Option one is having the scar treated with a non-ablative, fractional resurfacing laser, like the ICON 1540.  You will need at least 3-5 treatments (spaced 4-6 weeks apart), but they are quick (15 minutes each), relatively pain-free, and cost approximately $300-450 per treatment depending on where you have it done.  Laser treatments should improve the texture and appearance of the scars over time.  You won't see immediate results the day after your first treatment, but over time they should improve.The second option is nipple areolar complex reduction.  This is a second operation but could be performed under local anesthetic in your board-certified plastic surgeon's office.  This surgery would remove the old scar, reduce the size of the areola, reposition the nipple to your mid breast, and give you a new scar that would hopefully heal better than the first.  This would be more expensive, probably $2000-3000, but should give you immediate, long-lasting results.  You could also do both; have the surgery to remove the scar/reduce the areola then have laser treatments to the new scar 4 weeks postop.  I hope that helps and good luck!

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.