Can coconut oil irritate the area?

I had a labiaplasty performed three weeks ago, I heard coconut oil is good for the healing process so I just tried it, when I put it on it burned, should I not use the coconut oil anymore?

Coconut Oil Helps Healing?

Hello and thank you for your question. I want first to mention that my colleagues have stated well that there is no need for the oils or other materials applied to the area to help with the healing. Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery. Be prepared for swelling after #Labiaplasty for several weeks. It can persist for two or three months and firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months. The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks. This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of brusing and they way in which your body heals. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful as well, without the use of any creams or oils. Best of luck to you!

Helloo,if you have a recent surgery you should not be used other things that you are not prescribed by your doctor and even more if you take this irritating your antibiotics only painkillers and antibacterial soap thanks for your question.
Miriam Luciano

Miriam Luciano, MD
Dominican Republic OB/GYN

If it burns, avoid it

Your body needs no help with creams or oils to heal properly unless you have a medical condition that impairs your ability to heal. Leave the coconut oil on the shelf, keep the area clean and dry and you'll heal just fine.

Listen to your body.I prefer to use the ID silicone lubricant for scar care and massage after labiaplasty. You can get it at Amazon. Silicone has magical scar properties and is the best way to gently massage the incisions/scars and soften them.

Can coconut oil irritate the area?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your surgery.  Fractionated coconut oil is an excellent skin moisturizer that quickly absorbs leaving people without a significant residue.  Irritation may be the result of an allergy to the coconut oil or you may still have an open area or separation of your incision site from surgery.  Best to discuss with your surgeon but if they wanted you to maintain the area moisturized you may wish to consider an ointment such as Aquaphor instead.  Hope this helps.

Coconut oil

I am sorry but I have been performing labiaplasties for 20 years and have never been presented with this question.  I see no reason why to use coconut oil.  Often patients think there are secret non medical ways of treating incisions and surgery and find this information on line yet there is not scientific evidence to using a product.  Please follow the directions of your surgeon and best of luck with your care.
John R Miklos 
Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon
Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai