For a better chin & more defined/visible jawline, is chin implant & neck lipo recommended, or just sliding genioplasty? (Photo)

Hi Doctors, 29 years old. One of my goals is to achieve a stronger chin to create a more harmonious facial structure. My second goal to go along with it (preferably within the same procedure) is to create a more defined and visible jawline. I know jaw implants exist that focus on width/angle, but I'm just trying to make it more defined so that my jawline itself is highlighted and visible. Would a sliding genioplasty alone accomplish this or would an implant + lipo or fillers be better? Thanks.

Chin and Jawline Enhancement

A chin implant or a sliding genioplasty will provide enhancement of the anterior jaw but will not create a more visible jawline behind it. Nor will liposuction create that effect either. Jaw angle implants or a complete wrap around jawline implant is what is needed for a more visible jawline.

Sliding genioplasty

I believe you should do the chin augmentation first and then see if you need any neck work. Usually sliding genioplasty alone will enhance the neck by itself since it brings the muscle forward with it. It is a short and simple surgery with one week of recovery. 

Majid Jamali, DMD
New York Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring --- NECK

I find that VASER/ThermiRF liposuction and tightening +/- a chin implant give the best in neck/jawline contouring.  Please see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

For a better chin & more defined/visible jawline, is chin implant & neck lipo recommended, or just sliding genioplasty?

Hi, I have performed many chin augmentations over the past 30 years.  From the photo, your chin is quite weak but there isn't much excess fat below the chin.  A weak chin makes the nose appear larger and the mid face look top heavy.  Chin augmentation, with a chin implant, can add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  This is far less invasive, IMHO, tha a sliding genioplasty that must cut the bone.  

Chin Implant

A small chin implant is probably all that you'll nee for the projection of the chin. I would let your surgeon determine on the table whether any liposuction is warranted.

Robert J. Smyth, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant candidate

The photograph demonstrates a weak chin profile and almost no fat in the neck.  A chin implant can be inserted through submental approach to give the added projection to the chin to help with  facial balance and proportions. Chin implants are composed of Silastic, are manufactured in a large variety of shapes and sizes, and are inserted under local anesthesia as an outpatient procedures. For many examples, please see the link and the video below

Jawline definition

the easiest most complete manner for what you want; is to combine the genioplasty with strip augmentation alongside the chin extending backwards. It gives what you want without excessive augmenation - defined angularity

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Both procedures would work for you however a chin implant is less expensive, and a faster recovery. #Submental Liposuction or #KybellaInjections are helpful only if there is extra fat below the chin. Chin augmentation most often is used to restore balance to the face due to a weak chin (under-projecting in profile). This disproportion of facial structure—having a small chin—tends to make the nose look larger and results in a poor jaw/neckline. As it doesn’t support the neck skin, often it causes skin to hang down from the upper neck and can lead eventually to a “turkey waddle” deformity. Chin implants can also create a wider, stronger chin. They can also be used to lengthen the face slightly.
The augmentation is performed with a sterile, biologically inert implant (such as silicone or Medpor) which is placed over the bone of the lower jaw so it feels like your real chin and not like a separate implant.
A wide range of chin implants are available, depending on the patient’s needs and goals. These implants vary in their dimensions and are made of different materials. The proper selection of the correct size and type of implant by your plastic surgeon is critical for you to achieve the look you want.
It is very important to select a highly-skilled, board-certified plastic surgeon

A simple chin implant will correct your receding chin. There is no need for an elaborate genioplasty. You do not appear to need liposuction..A 30 minute out patient procedure, under local anesthesia is all you need.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon