Breast Lift and Breast Implant Concerns After Weight Loss of 240lbs

I am a very healthy 44year-old woman, 5'3", medium build, who, six years ago, underwent gastric bypass surgery: 460lbs to 220lbs. I've had two successful skin removal surgeries: panniculectomy & a lower body lift. So far, 38lbs of excess skin and tissue has been removed. My next surgery is on my upper body, arms, back, chest. My surgeon explained that implants are necessary to give me shape and volume. I've no idea what I should ask for, in way of shape, cc, or fill material for the implants.

Implants

I would recommend a smooth, round, silicone "gummy bear" implant, placed in a sub-muscle plane.  Also, since you are a massive weight loss patient, I would recommend a larger implant with your lift.  

I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Best wishes!

Dr. Desai

Congratulations on your successful weight loss; you should be very proud of this accomplishment!

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation/lifting surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to patients who have experienced significant weight loss) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Contouring breasts after weight loss.

As a general rule, a lift is meant to correct the position of the breasts/nipple/areola and an implant adds volume. What is best for you depends on many factors, including your degree of ptosis of the breast, skin quality, width of your breast, volume of your breast tissue, etc.  it is difficult to give a meaningful response without an examination.  Your plastic surgeon should be able to explain to you, based on the above factors, what implant will fit you best and leave you with a proportional increase.  Implant fill material is either saline vs silicone.  Implant shape is either round or anatomic/tear drop shaped.  Some recent plastic surgery reports note equal results but less problems with smooth round silicone gel implants vs anatomic implants.  This can also be explained by your plastic surgeon so you can make an informed choice.  Good luck.

Implant selection

It is best to be seen in person to determine what type of implant is right for you.  Best of luck with your decision to move forward.

Breast lift with implants

Hello and thank you for your question.  Congratulations on your weight loss.  Breast lift with implants can have a nice result in weight loss patients.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Implants after weight loss

After such a drastic weight loss, implants would be needed for fullness. Usually round smooth gels, their size and style depending upon your measurements and desired outcome.

An exam and consultation with your/a plastic surgeon is recommended to discuss your options and expectations.