Breast cancer patient: should I reconstruct both breasts or wait until I have kids to get a lift on uneffected breast? (Photo)

At age 15, I was diagnosed with DFSP in my right breast which resulted in a partial mastectomy. 3 years later I have reconstruction done and with a saline implant. I am 30 right now and need to replace my existing implant and have the opportunity to get reconstruction surgery once again. I was advised to hold off on lifting the left breast because its shape could change if I have kids. My dilemma is I want to have full symmetry and only fixing one breast I think does not achieve that. Help!

Symmetry after reconstruction

Hello and thanks for sharing your interesting history.

DFSP in the breast is not very common. I agree that it would be nice for you to have better symmetry. I would be inclined to suggest having a lift or reduction on the other side at the same time as your right sided re-do. The issue is that breast reduction or lift may affect your ability to breastfeed, and your breasts will continue to change over time as gravity and age take their toll. Even if you get good symmetry now, you may re-droop a bit more over time, and you might even need to repeat a lift in the future. If you were going to have kids in the next couple of years, you might hold off, but if you have no immediate plans, you might want to pursue getting better symmetry now.

I hope that helps-