What Benefits Can RF Micro-needling Have For Traumatic Facial Scars? (photo)

I have a traumatic scar above my upper lip from a deep puncture injury years ago. It was repaired in 3 layers by a plastic surgeon but has poor texture, tone, slight indent, wide and hairless in mustache where injury was. Scar is dense and emits chronic burning pain. Would RF microneedling help with external texture, tone, and indentation? What percentage of improvement likely? Can RF damage surrounding healthy hair follicles? Can it do anything to soften scar internally to reduce pain?

Expert plastic surgeon suggests FUE

You have an alopecia scar that would improve by softening the scar tissue with Plato's Scar Serum followed by FUE hair transplant. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Better without RF

I think you have good insight, K. Flip heck.  Microneedling can possibly help, as would potentially hair grafting.  I wouldn't do the RF approach because of risks to hair (theoretical only) however, you can certainly try microneedling and there are a number of other scar treatments that can help.

Jeffrey H. Spiegel, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar reduction

Infini RF microneedling is definitely one option that I use to treat facial skin for rejuvenation and for scars. Depending on the type of scar and medical history, there are other options that can also help reduce the appearance of your scar. If you are consider a non-invasive/laser/device based approach, I would recommend you see a dermatologist with advanced training in laser procedures.

Omar Ibrahimi, MD, PhD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon