Would like to know about arm lifts and thigh lifts.

How to find a good doctor with this specialty. Am I too old for these procedures. I am 63-in excellent health, eat right and exercise frequently. Can arms and thighs be done in one surgery? Is two weeks after surgery reasonable for returning to work?

Planning for an arm lift and thigh lift

Your age alone is not a contraindication to body contouring surgery. To help ensure that you are fit enough for these procedures, it may be wise to have your Family Doctor perform a full physical. It's also typical to order some basic bloodwork and an ECG prior to surgery.  If no health concerns are identified during this work-up then you would likely be a good candidate for both an arm lift and a thigh lift. I think it would be unwise to have the arm lift and thigh lift done as a single procedure. The recovery would be quite difficult. In addition, your risk of having a complication might be higher with both procedures performed at the same time. Two weeks away from work is an ambitious time-line, but talk to your surgeon and see what he or she recommends. It depends on many factors that can only be adequately accounted for during a consultation.

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Arm lift and thigh lift

Hi there… I do not feel that a healthy 63-year-old should be restricted from having an arm or thigh lift.  I would stage the results, as they are both somewhat extensive procedures and may have an extensice recovery.  

It's essential to see a plastic surgeon who is certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery and has extensive experience in the procedure.

I wish you the best,

Dr. Gabbay.

Joubin Gabbay, MD

Arm lift and thigh lift - need to know more

Thank you for your question about your thigh and arm lifts.
  • Boston is full of excellent plastic surgeons.
  • Go to the website of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons - all members are Board Certified.
  • Study their websites, see if they specialize in cosmetic plastic surgery and arrange one or more consultations.
  • It may take several to find the surgeon who seems to work well with you.
  • These procedures are usually not done together because a thigh lift is usually too long a procedure for others to be done with it - if you are at all overweight.
  • You can expect to return to a desk job two weeks after an arm lift.
  • After a thigh lift, you will need 4 - 6 weeks depending on the extent of surgery.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Arm lift arm reduction arm liposuction brachioplasty medial thigh lift thigh liposuction

Hi Dianainboston,
Thank you for your questions regarding arm lifts and thigh lifts.  
Since you are in excellent health, I think you can undergo these surgeries.  Of course, blood and urine tests, EKG, and chest Xray need to be performed before surgery.  Also, before surgery, you would need to be cleared for surgery by your internist.  
Based on physical examination and/or pictures, you may need an arm lift or just arm liposuction.  In addition, you may need a thigh lift or just thigh liposuction.  Liposuction and lift or reduction surgeries are very different on many levels, including risks, potential complications, cost, and return to work.  Further physical examination would be essential to determine which surgery you need.  
Whether you need arm and thigh liposuction or a lift/reduction, I would suggest staging these procedures.  Most qualified, experienced plastic surgeons can perform these combined procedures.  However, I believe the recovery is too difficult for most patients.  During the recovery period after a combined arm lift and thigh lift, it is very difficult to pull yourself from bed, walk to the bathroom, take care of yourself in the bathroom, walk back to bed, and lay down. Therefore, I would strongly suggest staging these procedures.  
The arm lift procedure takes about 3 to 4 hours to perform.  One to two weeks after an arm lift, most patients are able to return to work.  The thigh lift procedure takes about 3 to 4 hours to perform. About two weeks after a thigh lift, most patients are able to return to work.
Thank you for your questions regarding arm lifts and thigh lifts.  If you have any further questions regarding arm lifts and thigh lifts, please contact my office.
J. Timothy Katzen, MD

Arm and thigh lift

Hello and thank you for your question. If you are in good health, then your age will not be a contraindication for these surgeries.  Both procedures can be performed at the same time.  Two weeks is fine to return to work.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Arm and thigh lift

An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon is recommended to discuss your options and expectations. 

You our may be a candidate for smart lipo and/or Vaser ultrasound liposuction which offers skin tightening and may avoid lift procedures and their large scars.

Arms and thighs

I would suggest meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss all your options. I do not recommend doing your arms and legs at the same time. Depending upon what type of work you do, two weeks might be very reasonable.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Hello, and thank you for your question. I would recommend that you seek out a qualified board  certified plastic surgeon in your area with expertise in these procedures. It sounds like you will be a good candidate for these procedures based upon your goals and expectations. With an in the person consultation a plastic surgeon can discuss all of these with you. Best of luck.

John J. O'Brien, Jr., MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon