Best approach for small, natural looking and feeling breast augmentation.

5'3" 130lbs, breast fed 2 children for 1 and 2 years. Currently a small 34B, and loosing volume as I have lost a little bit of weight recently (about 10#). I am wanting the most mini version of an augmentation as I love to run and dance and do not want large breasts to hinder my active lifestyle. I simply want them to be filled out again. What is my best approach? I'm also being told that I may also need a mini lift..? And do i need to find a surgeon that specializes in smaller sizes? TIA

Bespoke Breast Surgery

The goal of breast surgery is to create an aesthetic breast with the size, shape, and projection that is desired by the patient. During a breast surgery consultation, measurements of the breasts are used as a starting point to recommend a breast implant.  The decision on size, shape, and position of these implants is based on the patient’s anatomy and the type and size of the implant and patients preferences. The need for a lift is determined b y your current nipple position and the quality of your tisssue.

Obtaining a natural and proportinal look is a common request from women after breastfeeding children; and, based on your description, the surgery you described - a small implant with a lift - would likely give you a nice result and allow you to continue the activites you love.

See the link below for more info on breast surgery after breastfeeding.

A detailed examination will help delineate the best surgical treatment. In office sizing and digital three-dimensional simulations can help guide your implant choices. Consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step.

Breast implants

You would have to be seen in person to determine what would be best for you.  A smallish implant will likely give you the  most natural result as often the higher the ratio of natural breast tissue to implant volume usually accomplishes that.

Can I get natural looking breasts with an augmentation?

Thanks so much for your question. The answer is yes-you can get natural appearing breast with an augmentation. I suggest you meet with a Board Certified Plastic surgeon who can evaluate you and assess your anatomy. He or she will measure you and size you for the best and most appropriate implants. They will also be able to evaluate your skin to see if a lift is necessary or not. I hope this helps and best of luck.

Wishing a small, natural appearing breast augmentation.

Thank you for your inquiry.  The decision about the right size breast augmentation is best made with your input about what you are comfortable with.  Trying on sizers in your plastic surgeons office can help you understand what varying sized implants look like on your frame.  Your surgeon may make suggestions, but the final decision is yours.  Whether you require a mini lift could only be determined after an examination.  I'm not aware there are plastic surgeons who specialize in smaller breast implants.  All plastic surgeons should be able to accept the patients wishes and use implants the patient desires.  Always see a board certified plastic surgeon.

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. It sounds like you are a good candidate for a conservative breast augmentation.  The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Small and natural breast augmentation

Dear Janell,

Thank you for the question. Your request is very common in my practice. To determine the ideal implant for you you need to be seen in person in consultation where the surgeon measures your breasts and then uses samples or 3D imaging to choose the volume of your choice that would best fit your frame. 

It is extremely important to see a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced using smaller implants with excellent results. 

You sound to be a good candidate but it is difficult to comment on your breasts specifically without photos. 

Dr. Khuthaila

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation - what kind of surgery

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• An examination is needed to see if you need a breast lift.
  • For your fastest recovery, the implants can be placed over the muscle -
  • Have your surgeon explain the pros/cons of putting implants over vs under the muscle.
  • You do not need a surgeon specializing in smaller sizes -
  • However male surgeons tend to prefer larger implants, so you might consider consulting both a man and a woman plastic surgeon and see which you prefer to work with.
  • The implant size is determined during the consultation, in various ways, ranging from computers to trying on sizers.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS