32 years old, healthy female. Thinking of a mommy makeover, for the breast lift is the anchor technique the best option? (photo)

I am not a drinker or smoker. Always been a very healthy woman. I am 32 years old with three kids. I have seem a couple of surgeons for a mommy make over, and the technique recommended for the breast lift is the anchor. What are the techniques available, should i consider a breast reduction with implants? In order to minimize scaring.

Mommy makeover

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hello and thank you for your excellent question. You are a great candidate for a mommy makeover. Depending on your desired breast shape an size, either a straight augmentation or a breast lift with augmentation are great options. If you do have a lift, typically the anchor type incision is a very reliable technique.  The size, profile, shape, texture, and type of implant (e.g., saline, silicone gel, “gummy bear”) is based on your desired versus existing breast size and shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality. Of course, you will need an in-person consultation to evaluate you for this procedure. Preoperative visualization and surgical simulation with the Crisalix system may help with your decision. Any treatment plan should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.    Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation in person with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon. Good luck! 

Jon Ver Halen, MD FACS 

Harvard educated plastic surgeon

32 years old, healthy female. Thinking of a mommy makeover, for the breast lift is the anchor technique the best option?

There are several different techniques for skin excision when doing a breast lift. Unfortunately, not every patient is a candidate for all techniques. The size and shape of the breast lead your PS to make a decision on which technique can give you the best result. We always attempt to minimize the amount of scar but not so much so that we compromise the final shape. Adding an implant to your breast lift will not minimize the amount of scar (as you will still need a lift). I cannot give you specific advice without taking measurements etc, but there are techniques that leave you with less scar than the anchor. 

Breast lift - is the anchor the best approach?

Thank you for asking about your breast lift.

• The techniques available for your breast reduction are the anchor and the vertical (lollipop)
  • You have good breast tissue - a reduction will not minimize scarring as it uses the same incisions.
  • So just a lift, no implants, seems best.
  • The crease incision is the issue for the anchor lift - the breast can look lovely but the scar can be unsightly. 
  • And your surgeon to show you the length of the scar in your crease and discuss the pros/cons of a vertical lift.
  • With this lift you are more likely to need a minor revision in 6 months to remove excess skin but it avoids a long crease scar.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

Mommy Makeover

angeles0406.  Congratulations on treating yourself to a Mommy Makeover! It appears from your photo that with or without implants, breast lift with the anchor scar technique is your best option to get maximal lift. If an implant is used, lift with lollipop scar may be sufficient, but the horizontal component of the anchor scar is well hidden below your breast. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Best option for a breast lift

Hello and thank you for your question and photo. You appear to be an excellent candidate for a wise pattern (which is the anchor type incision) or a vertical scar mastopexy. This is the only way to achieve the results you are looking for. The scars are well hidden and usually heal nicely. You should discuss post scar treatments with your plastic surgeon prior to surgery. I hope this helps you and best of luck. 

Kenneth A. Godwin, DO
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Best options for a mommy makeover

Thank you for your question. You are an excellent candidate for an anchor type lift most probably with a shorter scar under the breast. You have enough breast tissue to avoid an implant, and therefore additional surgery potentially in the future as implants do not last forever. I would therefore not recommend removing your breast tissue to place an implant. With newer sutures and creams and lasers we have found improved scarring so that should minimize that concern. Good luck.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a breast lift with either a vertical or wise pattern technique.  This can be designed to result in an improved shape and contour of your breasts while minimizing scar appearance.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Breast lift options

Thank you for the question. There are several options available to lift your breast. The two best options are would be either a vertilcal(lollipop) or an inverted T type breast lift.  These can be done with or without an implant.  If you desire to maintain your current breast volume a small reduction could be perfomed with an implant.  Best of luck.

Jon E. Rast, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift

Based on your photo you will benefit most from a full breast lift which is the anchor pattern.  If you choose to have a breast reduction the pattern would be the same.  You do not need to consider implants if you are happy with your current breast volume.

Camille Cash, MD

32 years old, healthy female.

Judging from your picture, a minimal incision breast lift would work for you.  This uses an incision around the areola and then straight down to the imframammry fold, like a lollipop.  No horizontal incision is needed!!!  This surgery is done as an outpatient, with all absorbable sutures and no drains.  There is no reason to place implants unless you want a larger breast volume.

Linda Swanson, MD