Did my stitch open up? (photos)

Hello, I am 11 days post op. I've recently noticed that one side looks like a stitch opened up. I have my post surgery follow up next week. Is this something that could be corrected? Thank you.

Small V-Wedge suture release with pink color at edge.

Yes, surface sutures in your left side V-wedge repair have released, and the edge separated a bit. "Happens" sometimes... Fortunately, there appears to be good support underneath which probably/hopefully will "hold...". If they hold, the area should heal well, but you will have a small and hopefully acceptable "divot" at the edge. However, since it will heal "from underneath," the edge will be a different color (pinkish) initially, and will take the better part of a year to revert to your brownish skin color. You will not know the final outcome for another 3-6 months, truly. If after that time (6 months) you are not satisfied, negotiate a revision with your surgeon.
Michael P Goodman, MDDavis, CA, USA

Will another weak wedge labiaplasty scar fall apart today?

You scar is showing signs of failure. Hopefully it will not progress further. Wedge labiaplasty has the weakest scar of all techniques because of the simple geometry of it's construction in relation to the axis of traction of unavoidable daily life activities. Nothing wrong with that if the sutures are good and plenty most times. However, a scar placed on traction that exceeds it's holding power will fail. Sometimes it's weak tissue, weak suturing technique, extreme traction, or any combination thereof.

Open wound

Your suture line has indeed opened up in this wedge type labiaplasty. Best to keep it clean and let it heal over time by itself (called healed by secondary intention). It may need restitching later, but just letting it heal over time may be all you need to do.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Did my stitch open up?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs. It does appear that your incision line has opened, causing a separation in your wedge labiaplasty.  I would recommend not placing additional tension on your repair site by spreading the tissues and instead call your doctor for an in-person evaluation and discussion of treatments.  

Post op labiaplasty possible suture opened

Without knowing the exact technique that was used, I can't be sure. However the difference in appearance between the two sides would best be assessed by your surgeon.    I would recommend going in sooner than your scheduled followup so if a revision needs to be done, it can be performed earlier.Best wishes!

Open wound after Labiaplasty

Yes, your wound has opened. Your surgeon needs to see you and evaluate your wound to give you your options. Some wounds can be sutured and others need to heal on their own. 
Best Regards,
John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty: Complications

Thank you for your question and sharing your photographs.  I would first contact the surgeon who performed the surgery.  If the stitches did open up and the tissue did separate, which it is challenging to evaluate based on the photos, then a secondary surgery may be necessary.  If you wish to seek a second opinion, I would recommend an experienced cosmetic genital surgeon even if this means traveling.   Best of luck.    

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Post-Op Healing, Labiaplasty Sutures

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks.  It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months. Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery. The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of bruising and they way in which your body heals. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful as well.It appears that your suture may have opened up, and the best person to evaluate the situation in person would be your plastic surgeon. Most likely the best thing to do would be to call right away and move up your follow-up appointment in order to make sure that the suture is able to either heal as it is or whether it should be re-stitched. Best of luck to you!

Did my stitch open up?

Based on your photos, it does appear that your incision has opened in that area.  Most surgeons will allow the area to heal with local wound care and will address any issues once the area has completely healed.  Many times even though an area may open, it will heal and the results are still favorable.  You should try to follow up with your surgeon sooner or at least contact their office to notify them of the situation to see if there are any specific wound care instructions they would like you to follow.  If you are unhappy with the result at the end of the healing process, you can discuss with your surgeon, at that time, your options for revision, if needed.