Lifting weight after breast augmentation.

I am a preschool teacher and have taken a week off from work. My doctor said this is fine seeing as I do not really ever lift the children since they are 4 to 5 years old. I can't help but worry about small things, like taking the chairs down from the tables and moving a box of toys. Are things like this really putting me at risk for damage to my implants? I know my doctor says I should be fine but I am nervous! I don't want to damage anything.

#ASPS #plasticsurgery #breastaugmentation

Hello jcasey, Congratulations on your recent surgery and thank you for sharing your question about your post operative recovery and results after your breast augmentation surgery.  Final results can take up to six months for all the swelling to subside.  At our office here at CARE we actually see all of our breast surgery patients the very next day after surgery and then again at two weeks and beyond. We enjoy staying closely connected to our patients and enjoy giving the extra attention and service.  Your concerns are important to discuss directly with your board certified plastic surgeon.  He or she will appreciate the open communication and will want to help you. I hope this is helpful and wish you all the very best.  Sincerely, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS
CARE Plastic Surgery

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Hi-

So I generally recommend my patients to try and avoid lifting anything more than a gallon of milk for the first 3 weeks and no strenuous exercise for 6 weeks. It wont damage your implants but you don't want to cause any undue tension on your new scars. Hope you love your new look. Good Luck!

Jordan P. Farkas, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Post-operative Breast Augmentation lifting restrictions

Thank you for your question. We advise our Breast Augmentation patients that they are not to lift anything weighing greater than 10 pounds, and should not lift their elbows above shoulder level for the first two weeks post-operatively. After that time period, elbows and arms may go above shoulder level, but the weight restriction will remain at 20 pounds or less until week six. However, it is always best to check with your own surgeon's office, as she or he has your very best healing interests in mind. 

Lifting weight after breast augmentations

Certainly there should be no problem lifting after the first two weeks if the implant is above the muscle, but if implants are under the muscle then muscular spasms with pain may occur. Some people need muscle relaxants when implants are placed under the pectoralis. 

Talk to your board certified plastic surgeon about activity. 

Leon Goldstein, MD
Madison Plastic Surgeon

Lifting weight after breast augmentation

The vast number of patients would be fine doing anything they want after breast augmentation or any cosmetic surgery. But a small percentage can get bleeding by mechanically knocking a clot off a blood vessel or increasing their blood pressure with exercise that pops off the clot. So minimize these types of activity. Statistically you should be fine but it your the one who bleeds, the chances increased to 100% and there has to be someone to make the stats. Don't let it be you.  Good luck.

Robert Graper, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your questions and i can understand your apprehension.  Most surgeons will limit their patients heavy lifting, pushing, or pulling activities form 2-6 weeks after surgery in order to not compromise the patient's results as well as not cause undue swelling or discomfort.  As long as you do not have to perform activities over 15-20 pounds you should be fine to return to work.  Do not be surprised if you notice some increased swelling during the day as your chest muscles begin to work more. Hope this helps.

I usually instruct my patient not to carry anything heavier than 15lbs for at least 2 full weeks and return gradually to regular activity level at 4 weeks. Please follow up with your surgeon each surgeon has there own post-op instruction.

Best of luck!!

Post Op Activities

Each Plastic Surgeon has their own, preferred post op protocols. I ask my patients not to lift over ten pounds for 6 weeks post op. Most return to work and light activity after one week but avoid strenuous activity or extensive use of arms. I recommend that you talk with your Plastic Surgeon specifically about your concerns and follow their direction.

All the best

Lifting after breast augmentation

Following a breast augmentation it is good to limit your activities. While it would take significant trauma to damage the implants themselves you  place yourself at risk for possible bleeding if your activity is too strenuous. The other important thing to note is that after implants are placed below the muscle the more you use the chest muscles the more likely you are to keep the implants from dropping into the appropriators pocket.  This is as a result of the muscles contracting and pushing the implants up. Therefore the more you're able to rest the more likely your muscles will be relaxed and the implants can drop.  

Gerald L. Yospur, MD
Mesa Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Exercise

Thank you for your question. Most patients are cleared to perform lifting > 10 pounds 4 - 6 weeks following breast augmentation. You may return to walking and light lifting sooner, but would not perform any strenuous activity without clearance from your surgeon. It is best to have an in-person follow up examination for recommendations regarding what you should and should not be doing. Good luck with your recovery.