I have had very bad back pain since I can remember I know my breast are causing it would a breast reduction correct that?

6'1 , about270 pounds and a 46DDD , i need this . I've been considering it since i was about 13. My breast are heavy , my back pain gets so bad it makes me sick sometimes ! It's been years I've been dealing with this though so would it even be worth it ?

Back pain and breast reduction

Breast reduction frequently helps people with back pain but there is no guarantee. Based on the figures you give your BMI is about 35 which suggests you are significantly overweight. (Although BMI does need to be interpreted with caution.)The risks of breast reduction are significantly higher if you have surgery when overweight. Overweight patients are usually advised to lose weight prior to breast reduction surgery. Being overweight may also contribute to back pain so weight reduction may help with back pain.You are best advised to seek the advise of a suitably trained and experienced plastic surgeon to help you make decisions about the best way forward for you.

Chichester Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question. Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. 
“Typical” patients who present for breast reduction surgery are women who have disproportionately large breasts, causing problems such as neck/back/shoulder discomfort, postural changes, bra strap grooving, skin irritation/rashes under the breasts, and/or difficulty with activities of daily living and/or exercise etc. There may be both physical as well as psychosocial “stress” caused by the disproportionately large breasts.
Reducing breast tissue mass and elevating the breasts on the chest wall tend to improve or alleviate many of the symptoms associated with the disproportionately large breasts. Patients considering breast reduction surgery should also consider the potential downsides (risks/complications) associated with the procedure as well. Poor scarring, for example may be associated with the procedure. Additional surgery may be necessary in the short or longer term for a multitude of reasons.
When the time is right, I suggest that you seek consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.  Ultimately, careful selection of your plastic surgeon will be the most important decision you make. To this end, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.    I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Will #breastreduction surgery alleviate back pain?

Great question but the best answer is honestly, "maybe". There is no way to ensure that the symptoms you currently have are 100% attributed to the breasts nor that surgery will completely resolve your pain.  In many cases of back pain due to large breasts, the pain symptoms will be reduced or resolved after surgery but this can never be truly guaranteed.  It also depends on the location of the back pain--back pain associated with large breasts is most often in the upper back (thoracic) or neck (cervical) regions and often improves with breast reduction.  Lower back pain is typically not related to large breasts so often won't be improved. But again, nothing is 100%. Make sure to have a thorough discussion with your surgeon as to the symptoms and your concerns.  As always, please consult with board-certified plastic surgeons for best recommendations. Good luck!

Megan Jack, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon