FUT hair transplant question: Does the area where the transplant is being placed need to be shaved?

I understand how the donor area works, but does the area hair is being placed need to be shaved? I am a woman with a few different problems areas. Basically I have a VERY full head of hair but a few small places where I think follicles are completely dead (pencil eraser sized or smaller) and thinning spots on crown due to long term pulling (trichotillomania). Can graphs just be sporadically placed where they are necessary? Without needing to shave areas they are placed? (Not pulling anymore).

Non-shaven hairtransplant

Thanks to some recently developed techniques, and depending on the patient’s condition and suitability for certain techniques, the FUE procedure may be performed without shaving the hair at all.

At our clinic we offer non-shaven FUE, where the hair is shaven only in the extracted area and also the long hair FUE method without shaving the hair at all.

The extraction portion of this procedure is executed with a specially designed surgical punch while the insertion or placement of the grafts is performed with the very specially designed KEEP (Koray Erdogan Embedding Placer) which I recently patented.

With this method, the maximum number of units that can be transplanted in one surgery is 3000 grafts spread over 2 days of surgery.

Istanbul Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair transplant in a Trcihotillomania patient

It is imperative to treat the habit of pulling the hair first before proceeding with the surgery. If it is resolved, then you can go in for the surgery. Regarding the recipient area, there is usually no need to shave this area.

Kapil Dua, MBBS, MS
India Hair Restoration Surgeon

Do You Need to Shave Your Hair?

For a strip procedure, your doctor wont need to shave your scalp, however doctors vary. Some may require it.

Robert Jones, MD
Mississauga Hair Restoration Surgeon

You do not have to have your scalp shaved to have a hair transplant surgery. However different doctors may

You do not have to have your scalp shaved to have a hair transplant surgery.  However different doctors may have different opinions or recommendations.  There is absolute rule.  

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Trichotillomania (pulling your hair out) is an interesting problem. Hopefully, you are over that destructive habit. This is the same sort of issue as traction alopecia, which I see very frequently, and it's mostly from braiding hair tightly. Tight ponytails can cause permanent baldness in the same way.

No, the hair in the recipient site does not have to be shaved in my practice. Some require it, but it is not necessary. The donor site does have to be cut very short, however.

Thank you for your interesting question. 

Shaving for FUT

For a strip procedure, there is no shaving of your scalp for the area grafts are being placed.

John Kahen, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Shaving of your Recipient region

Depneding on your degree of hair loss and the size of the procedure needed, procedures under 2500 grafts can be performed without shaving your recipient hair.

Baubac Hayatdavoudi, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Recipient area

the recipient areas do not have to be shaved in order to transplant. One thing that I am curious about, are the pencil sized areas from the trichotillomania or from alopecia areata? Be sure to have your scalp and hair thoroughly evaluated before proceeding to surgery. 

Rae Lynne Kinler, MD
Chicago Physician

FUT

When a strip surgery is done, only the area of scalp that is removed is shaved. After the surgery all of the hair in the back of the head will be long and you will not see the area that was removed

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

The short answer is yes.

You don't have to shave the recipient area.  The only time it is done in my practice is if we are using the robot to make the sites (ARTAS Robotic FUE). If you are making the sites by hand -- which is probably best in your case -- then you don't have to shave the top. Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon