Is fat positioning not always needed with lower blepharoplasty?

I have a transconjunctival lower bletharoplasty scheduled in a couple of weeks. My doctor did not mention anything about fat repositioning. Is this something that should be done to reduce the risk of looking hollowed out? Also, he said because I am 31 I will not need a skin pinch, but we could use the laser down the road if needed? Will he know if he needs to use the laser right away. I don't want to heal only to find out I need another procedure.

Transconjunctival lower blepharoplasty- when to remove and when to reposition fat

Thank you for your question. Photos would be helpful, however an in-person consultation is necessary to determine the best treatment plan for your unique needs.

The decision to transpose or remove (sculpt) fat is dependent on each individual's unique anatomy. When transposing, prominent fat is moved into the under eye hollows (the so-called tear trough) to add volume to this area. I use this to volumize these areas when necessary as this improves the contour of the junction between the lower eyelid and upper cheek. In younger individuals and those without significant depression of the year troughs, simply sculpting the fat is often all that is needed. Again it all depends on your unique anatomy.

I recommend you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, or oculopastic surgeon who is experienced in eyelid rejuvenation.

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat removal lower blepharoplasty

In our practice, we have been using the trans-conjunctival approach fat removal blepharoplasty for over 25 years with an excellent success rate. This involves making the incision on the inside of the eyelids.

Fat repositioning with transconjunctival blepharoplasty

Without seeing a photograph, its hard to answer your question. However given your age, it is unlikely you have yet developed a tear-trough deformity that would call for fat repositioning.

Daniel Lensink, MD
Redding Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower lids

lynz007, no one can answer this question without an exam. I prefer using an approach known as the "SOOF lift blepharoplasty". You may want to research this on the Internet. See video and good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty

The fat re-positioning really depends on your anatomy. Also, it is not uncommon for the surgeon to discuss the technique with generalities. This is a question you should ask your surgeon directly. They may not have used the term specifically but may be planning to do something similar. 

Tracy E. McCall, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Agree, depends on anatomy and age in terms of what approach is used....discuss with PS , IMO Skin pinch is rarely needed when you have a  c02 laser available....good luck!

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Lower lid blepharoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question.   Transconjunctival approach with fat removal or repositioning can be very effective in your age group.  The answer to your questions truly relies on your individual anatomy.  If you have found the surgeon you are comfortable with, then I recommend sharing your concerns and questions with your surgeon.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Lower blepharoplasty

It's hard to say much without doing an exam, or at least seeing photos of you. In general, there are many different techniques for rejuvenating the lower eye. The amount of volume depletion and/or presence of a tear trough deformity can often dictate which procedure is done, in addition to surgeon preference and experience.  I would recommend you direct this question to your surgeon and have an honest discussion about your concerns BEFORE going in for surgery. Good luck!

Justin Cohen, MD
Washington DC Otolaryngologist

Lower eyelid fat

Fat in the lower lids can be excised, repositioned or left alone if there isn't much.  Talk to your surgeon, make sure he or she understands your concerns.  Good luck, Jane