Are my current Breast Augmentation results going to change also am I experiencing " boobie blues" ? (photos)

I am three weeks post, have experienced some depression and lack of self confidence since my first week of surgery? I feel like I have some unevenness but I am not sure if it is just one breast dropping sooner than the other and I notice my confidence/view of myself and my breasts after surgery is somewhat warped? The first week I was so happy with them but I feel somewhat unhappy now and can not tell if it is a self perception issue or if I am actually close to my goal pic so to speak?

Breast augmentation question

It is still early on in your recovery and certainly there will be additional changes to your breast as time goes on. I agree that there is minor unevenness. I do think that your pictures demonstrate a good-looking breast augmentation that will likely look even better with additional time. Speak with your surgeon about your concerns.

Breast augmentation

It looks like you have a very nice results and things will settle with some more time.  It is common to feel a bit down after surgery. Best of luck.

Thank you for your question. Remember, it is best to be seen in person by a double-board-certified plastic surgeon for precise diagnosis and treatment.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Augmentation Results at 3 Weeks Post-Op

HEALING AFTER BREAST SURGERY, AUGMENTATION, LIFTS

1.    pain is variable

2.    it takes 2-3 months for implants to settle and muscles to relax

3.    celebrex, motrin, and muscle relaxers can help

4.    massage and stretching may help

5.    everyone heals differently

6.    4-7 days off from work is common

HEALING OF SENSORY NERVES: Tingling, burning or shooting pains, which will disappear with time and should not alarm you, indicate regeneration of the sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage helps.

ASYMMETRY: The two breasts commonly heal quite differently. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.

SHAPE AND CONTOUR: The final shape of your breasts will start to look its best approximately three (3) months after surgery. It takes time for the skin and muscle to stretch and relax around the new implant. The breast will often look higher, firmer, and “less natural” in the first three (3) months. It can take up to a year to see your final result.

FOLLOW-UP EXAMS: These are generally done in 1 week, 2 to 3 weeks, 3 to 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months to 1 year, and 1-2 year intervals. In our office we include all of your follow up appointments in the initial surgical fee.

Breast augmentation question

Without seeing your "before" pictures, it is difficult to fully assess your "afters."  Most people have some asymmetry naturally.  Your "goal pictures" show almost perfect symmetry which would be hard to achieve if you started out with some asymmetry.  Perfection is a pretty high standard to meet.  Still, you are early in the game and I wouldn't judge your results for a minimum of three to six months after your surgery.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Disappointed Post Breast Augmentation

It looks like you have a nice result at just a few weeks post op.  Typically, things continue to settle and look even better as more time goes on.  It is not uncommon to feel disappointed that you didn't go large enough or didn't get the result you had hoped for early on after surgery.  Many patients who stated that they felt this way early on, will later say that they realize they picked the perfect size and got a great result once they got further down the road. Talk with your surgeon about your concerns and remember that your final result will take quite a bit longer to see. 

Ian Lonergan, DO
Wilmington Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after surgery is a process

Thank you for your question.  As patients and surgeons, we tend to get caught up in the excitement of surgery.  We often wait weeks, months or even years to have the surgery, and once it is over, we want to have the results NOW.  Unfortunately, the surgery is only the beginning of the process of achieving our goals.  The recovery period can range from 6 to 12 months and is a slow but progressive process of slow improvement.

At 3 weeks, you have moved past the early complication phases, but you are at least several months away from seeing your final results.  Adhering to your postoperative instructions and keeping your followup appointments with your surgeon, will keep you on track to achieve your goals.  Being patient is the hardest, yet most important aspect of your current phase of recovery.   Commonly patients tend to overexert themselves at this early stage, and this puts their results at risk.  

Good luck with the rest of your recovery, and based on your photographs, you should have an excellent result!

Daniel M. Calloway, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Are my current Breast Augmentation results going to change also am I experiencing " boobie blues" ?

Thank you for your question.  You appeared to have an excellent result. It is very normal to have doubts this early in recovery.  Your breast shape and size will continue to change over the next 2-3 months.  It can be helpful to revisit and look at your pre-op photos to see if there was a size discrepancy before surgery.  Studies have shown that 88% of women have breast asymmetries normally and this is the most common explanation for size asymmetry postop.

Self confidence since my first week of surgery.

Any time we alter appearance whether it be breast augmentation or rhinoplasty there is bound to be an adjustment in self image as well. All should sort out during the healing process. Your result will continue to improve and settle, and you too will work into the new you. All takes time, but the results should be wonderful.

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photographs.

It is completely normal to be feeling these mixed emotions. You went through a surgical procedure and altered something on your body. Just remember, recovery is a process and it takes time physically, emotionally and mentally to adapt to this new change. As you continue to heal, you should start to get used to your new breasts and hopefully begin to love them. If you continue to have concerns or are disappointed with your results, I would certainly express this with your surgeon and see what you can come up with to correct any issues you have. Best of luck in your recovery.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon