If I had Coolsculpting related hyperplasia on one area how likely will it occur on a different area treated?

I have Coolsculpting hyperplasia on my stomach. Before It started developing I had other areas treated. Because it happened once to me, am I more likely to have this complication on the other areas?

Coolsculpting

I wish we know who was at risk for this but we don't.  I do let my patients know that if hyperplasia occurs (which it never has), I will perform liposuction on them for free... that is how rare it is. Best of luck, Sheila Nazaria

Thank you for your question. There are not any studies done about this to my knowledge. If it has happened to you once, it may not be the best option for you. 

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Coolsculpting and Hyperplasia

nobody knows the risk of a second area getting hyperplasia, I see patients everyday with this and we treat them with liposuction -- specifically VASER as the area is very fibrotic and is more easily removed with this technology. Best, Dr. Emer.

History of Paroxysmal adipose hyperplasia after coolsculpting

Paroxysmal adipose tissue hyperplasia after coolsculpting is thankfully rare.  However, in patients that experience it, coolsculpting would not be recommended to be used again.  Consider other non-invasive options such as Sculpsure / Ultrashape or surgical intervention like liposuction.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Paradoxical Hyperplasia

I am sorry to hear that you developed paradoxical hyperplasia following CoolSculpting.  The incidence of paradoxical hyperplasia is reported as being very low (0.025%).  Unfortunately to my knowledge there are no studies related to the likelihood of experiencing it more than once.  I would not recommend further CoolSculpting sessions in your case.

Cody Koch

Cody A. Koch, MD, PhD
Des Moines Facial Plastic Surgeon

It is a rare issue following coolsculpting. However, if it has already happened to you in the past then I would be hesitant to recommend it to you again.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS, FICS
Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS