Does blood supply return after removal of Subglandular Implants?

I had 300cc implants placed over the muscle 8 years ago. My skin is very thin and I have little to no breast tissue left. I know a lift is not recommended at the time of explant due to concerns of blood supply loss. Does blood supply return if I wait 6+ months to lift? I may not need much lifting as I have no sagging, but my areolas are stretched out & quite large. Id like to have them reduced but have read donut mastopexys yield limited results & often stretc back distorting the shape.

Implant removal

While I agree with most of the other recommendations, I think if you want minimal manipulation of the breast tissues, removing the implants and allowing the soft tissues and skin to go back to baseline and then performing the mastopexy would yield the best results.

This however requires 2 procedures unless your implants are saline, in which case they could be deflated in the office. Then allow the tissues to retract and remove the empty shells and perform a mastopexy in 6-8 weeks.

Best of luck.

Newnan Plastic Surgeon

Lift with implant removal at the same time

Some doctors are not comfortable performing a lift at the same time as implant removal. We do this all the time and never see an issue. But with that being said each surgeons technique and experience is different and a wise surgeon stays within their comfort zone to minimize complications. But if you asked the same surgeon if it was safe to leave the implants and have a lift and he said yes then there really is no reason not to do the removal and left at the same time. You just have to make sure your physician has vast experience with breast surgery. Every patients anatomy is different and some issues with anatomy can dictate what can be performed but just make sure you have a very experienced plastic surgeon. In our practice we perform thousands of breast augmentations and breast lifts ever year. Best of luck

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question. There is no way to generalize when it comes to  safety of breast lifting surgery at the time of breast implant removal surgery.  Sometimes, mainly depending on the patient's physical examination and past surgical history, it is safe to do both of the operations at the same time.  If, based on the same factors, there are blood supply concerns, it is prudent to stage the procedures.

My best suggestion: select your plastic surgeon carefully. Discuss pros/cons associated with all options. Working together you will come up with a good plan to safely achieve your goals. Best wishes.

Blood supply

I would strongly recommend you have a capsulectomy (removal of the implant capsule) at the time of the removal of your implants.  It is crucial that the backside of the breast gland (what there is of it) be against the raw muscle under it so that blood flow channels can develop between the two surfaces, so that when you have your lift later on there will be a markedly decreased risks of losing the nipple.  You don't need to wait 6 months though.  2-3 months is sufficient.  

Allen M. Doezie, MD

Tissue

Your surgeon, who has examined you, will be the best one to tell you if a lift is possible. Some women can have a lift 3 to 6 months after the removal of implants and do well. There are some women who should not be lifted since the blood flow to the areola is mainly from the skin. You might be able to have a partial lift with a superior incision only.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon