Is this to be expected? 4th Hair laser removal treatment. + Photos, I'm not even little bit satisfied. (BACK HAIR) (Photos)

Okay, I'm not happy at all 4th treatment done so far, in 6 days i'm going on 5th treatment. in total will complete 7 Treatments. But should i even continue? so far it seems like only 10% of hair is removed after 4th treatment.. This is a lot of money, and not only that seems like i'm cursed to be hairy.. which is not cool. I want at least 60% to be gone.... seems like i'll need to go on 20 Treatments... but i only have money for 7 treatments. OR, this is expected from only 4 treatments?

Laser Hair Removal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are many variables in laser hair removal. First, the laser: Is it a good unit? Second, the operator: Do they know what they are doing? Third, the patient: How do they respond?  Even a good laser with the wrong settings, might not give the best results. Is there the appropriate time interval between treatments? Too short of an interval might lead to wasted treatments.  Every patient is different and some need more treatments than others.

Clifton Vascular Surgeon

Laser Hair Reduction on Back

Thank you for your question. It is difficult to evaluate your results without pre-treatment pictures. We generally tell our clients to expect to do 6-10 treatment sessions to achieve a 60-90% reduction in hair follicles. Your follicles appear to be fairly fine which could be the result of past treatments or just the way your hair follicles present. Finer hair and poorly pigmented hair will not absorb as much energy and therefore are more difficult to destroy. In addition, many patients will need 1 to 2 treatments per year as the very fine follicles can become coarser with hormonal stimulation. I would suggest speaking with your laser hair provider to see how they feel your hair reduction is responding versus their expectations. This will help you to determine if your expectations can be met.I hope this was helpful - Dr. Moore.

Laser hair removal on the back

Hi there, it is difficult to tell how much hair is gone as there is no before picture. While many clinics say you will need 6 treatments to experience an 80% reduction in hair growth, generally for larger hairier areas you can expect up to 8 or 9 treatments. You should definitely discuss this with your provider. Make sure they are using the appropriate wavelength. You have light skin so they should be using the alexandrite or 755nm setting. Also make sure that your provider is being thorough. Good luck!

Adaeze Okeke, MD
Houston Physician

Laser hair removal/expectations

This is a good question. It is difficult to answer as there are no before photos.  In order for the hair to be treated effectively it needs to be in the active growing phase. On the back usually 20-25% of the hairs are in the active growing phase at one time.  Therefore we hope to achieve about a 20% reduction at each treatment.  If you are not getting the results that you want you should discuss this with your provider. It may be that the laser wavelengh or settings are not appropriate and need to be adjusted. You need to be paitent as it does take several treatments to see results especially if the hair was very dense.

Jean M. Casello, MD
Northborough Physician