Born with a Droopy Eyelid. Age 15, What Are My Options?

I just turned 15. I was born with my right eye droopy because before and after i was born i had my right arm covering my right eye all the time. My right eyelid is really weak. It has never bugged me before but now as i get older i just cant lool people in the eyes because it feels uncomftarble when they notice my weak eyelid. Is surgery the only way? If so how much is the cost for one droopy eylid repair? I know its stright but its only the eylid which is really down .

Doctor Answers 11

Droopy eyelid surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi AndreasF


Surgery is about it.  First things first, make you have get an evaluation with an experience Oculoplastic surgeon before you do anything.  If there is a complete absence of muscle activity or it's too weak a straight forward ptosis repair may not do it for you.  The total cash cost for that is $3,000 in my office but it varies.  You may find that, if it is severe enough to effect vision, insurance may cover it.  Healing is about a week.  Hopefully this video would be helpful to you.  


Best of luck


Chase Lay MD

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 80 reviews

Droopy Eyelid Needs Surgical Correction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I'm sorry that your congenital ptsosis (the medical term for a droopy eyelid) is making you feel self-conscious. Please don't let this minor problem stop you from looking other people in the eye.

Surgery is the only way to correct the elongation of the levator muscle that causes the drooping. See if your parents are willing to bring you to a facial plastic surgeon for a consultation. If not, after you turn 18, you will be able to have a consultation on your own. Cost will vary by region, practitioner, and what needs to be done to completely rectify the drooping. The important thing is to find a surgeon you trust; a payment plan can be worked out, if necessary. I hope this helps.

Options available for congenital ptosis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hang in there, there is hope.  And you are asking all the right questions.  Unfortunately, today, surgery is the only way to correct a situation like yours, called congenital ptosis. Costs vary depending on your specific circumstances. Talk with your parents to see if they are open to taking you to see a board certified oculoplastic surgeon for a consultation (which should include digital imaging, so you'll get to see what you will look like after the surgery).  There is a cost for the consult, so try not to be bummed if your folks need to wait to take you.   After the consult, the surgeon will be able to describe options and the best surgical plan with you and your parents. I know at your age it must seem like everything revolves around getting your eye fixed.  Try to remember you are an amazing person even if you never get it fixed.  Because I'm sure you are.  Keep me posted please.  And good luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 49 reviews

Droopy eyelid

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Droopy eyelid is caused by the lengthening of the muscle(Levator) that causes the opening of the eyelid. It can usually be easily corrected by shortening this muscle. This does require surgery but this can be done usually under a local anesthetic as an outpatient.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Droopy eyelids can be repaired with surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Droopy eyelids can be repaired with surgery. How the muscle is functioning will indicate the type of procedure needed which will determine the cost involved.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 68 reviews

Congenital ptosis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You have congenital ptosis. There are various surgical techniques available, depending on the function of your eyelid (including anterior ptosis surgery, posterior ptosis surgery, and frontalis sling).  The cost varies depending on which technique is needed and on the location of the surgery.  Performing the surgery under local anesthesia would considerably cut down on the fees (rather than performing in a surgery center with anesthesiologist).  Make sure you see an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 91 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Follow-up with a Board Certified Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon to improve the appearance and function of your left eyelids!

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Droopy eyelid in young person

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Droopy eyelids can be repaired in many ways depending on how much movement the eyelid has and other causes.  An oculoplastic surgeon can help you determine which surgery is best.  This would very likely be covered by insurance.  The only other alternative would be a large special contact lens to raise eyelid, but this doesn't work for many.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

Born with a Droopy Eyelid. Age 15, What Are My Options?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The first thing you should do is get an evaluation by an Oculoplastic surgeon.  There are several ways to correct ptosis, and this will make a difference in the price.  Furthermore, your surgery may be performed either in the office or in an operating room under anesthesia.  Depending on which of these you are best suited for, the price will vary.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Droopy eye fix

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Its not your fault it is an inborn problem you inherited. It is called occular ptosis and you should seek a plastic or ophthalmic surgeon to correct it. The fee in my area is around $5000.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.