Surgery for eyelid symmetry? Cost? (Photo)

My left eyelid is open much more then my right eyelid. It has been this way since I was born. Can surgery be done to close the left eyelid slightly, so it is symmetrical with the right eye lid? If so, about how much money would this type of surgery cost?

Doctor Answers 8

Eyelid asymmetry

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I agree with the others with regard to the droopy right upper lid possibly causing the left upper lid to over-compensate and be too high. However, it could also be possible that the left eye is more protrusive than the left, causing it to be "more open". It is difficult to say from the picture and this is something which would require a thorough examination by an oculoplastic specialist. Certain issues within the eye socket can cause this presentation and imaging of the eye socket (ie, CT/MRI scan) can help evaluate this. The fact that the eyes have been like this since birth make this scenario less likely but it should be considered.

Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 3 reviews

Ptosis of right eyelid with retraction of left eyelid

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for sharing your question and photos. Your right eyelid is ptotic (droopy), which causes you to try to raise it. Then, this triggers your left upper eyelid to rise as well. Ptosis surgery would elevate the right eyelid and cause your left eyelid to fall back into the normal position. See an Oculoplastic Surgeon for consultation. This is a common problem that an eyelid specialist handles. Good luck,

Ptosis repair

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You have congenital right eyelid ptosis, but not sure why the left side is compensating so much.  Need to check if your right eye has "levator function" or how high you can raise the right eyelid.  May need to correct both sides because when you correct the right side the left side can droop (Hering's Law).  Can correct right side first to see how much the left side comes down then do the left to even both sides, or just do both the same setting.  This is usually done awake under local anesthesia so you can respond to the surgeon's command to ensure symmetry.  This potentially can be a tricky problem to get both sides the same height.

Johnny Mao, MD, FACS
Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 59 reviews

Eyelid Symmetry and cost

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The fact that your left eyelid has been bigger than your right eyelid since birth is reassuring. But before giving you a fee, you really need to figure out exactly what is going on. Since it is a congenital problem, an oculoplastic surgeon would be best at helping you figure that out. Make sure to bring pictures of yourself when you were younger. If you can control it, you might have something called Marcus Gunn Jaw Wink (but that is a shot in the dark) Good Luck! :)

Dan Landmann, MD
Ridgewood Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 47 reviews

Right eye ptosis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It seems that right eyelid has some droopiness called ptosis. Sometimes the other eye opens wider to compensate. You need to be evaluated by an Oculoplastic Surgeon to first get a diagnosis. After a correct diagnosis treatment can address the asymmetry. 
Dr. Janjua

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 126 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You have a ptosis of the right upper lid.  Your left eye is lifting trying to compensate.  It is unusual however for it to be this high.  You should see an oculoplastic surgeon to evaluate the eyelid muscles and determine what you would need surgically to help even out the eyelids.      

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 31 reviews

Asymmetry of Eyelids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I would suggest a complete examination by an oculoplastic surgeon.  She can determine the best surgical approach for correcting your asymmetry.  Usually the solution is a simple procedure with a quick recovery time.  

Jessica Lattman, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Ptosis correction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You have mild ptosis (1-2 mm ) ptosis in right side, less involved surgery, like modified Putterman technique can improve/fix your problem. This can be done in office with local anesthesia. 
good luck!

Ali Totonchi, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.