Breast implants under vs. over muscle?

Could silicone implants under the muscle, instead of over, help avoiding sagging of boobs? I have implants OVER the muscles and I'm thinking about doing a new surgery to place implants under the muscle. My boobs are a sagging a little and I want to fix that without having to do a full mammoplasty and have the "T" scar.

Breast implants under or over the muscle

Changing the pocket of the breast implants will not cause any lifting of the breasts.  If the nipples are low, then changing the pocket to the submuscular position will only intensify the sagging.  To lift the nipples and the sagging breast tissue, the only real answer is to do a breast lift or mastopexy.  This would require at the minimum a lollipop scar around the areola and down the center of the lower portion of the breast.  Commonly, small horizontal incisions are needed to remove excess skin in the crease as well, but not a full "anchor" scar.

Naples Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants over or under the muscle

If you want to achieve less saggy breasts then changing the pocket location of your implants from over to under the muscle will not achieve your desired results. In some cases, placing the implant under the muscle can make the nipple appear even lower, exacerbating your problem.  The only way to address sagging breasts is with a breast lift.  Discuss your options with a fully qualified plastic surgeon with experience in revision breast surgery.

Silicone implants over or under the muscle?

In my opinion, I prefer submuscular placemment, they look better and this process prevent saggy breasts after a surgery. 

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Breast implants under vs. over muscle?

If you need lifting than you can not hide from that. Most boarded PSs prefer sub muscular placement....

Breasts Sagging over Implants

The only way to correct breast droop is with a lift. Not all lifts need a "T" shaped incision, however. Moving the implant position will not help correct the ptosis. In fact, the above muscle position is usually best for correcting droop. You can probably have the lift without disturbing the implants at all. Make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon who has significant experience in breast implant revision. 

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants

Hi Silkon,
Bonita Springs is a nice place to live, you're lucky!  Please see the excellent answer below.  You have already done the best you can with the implant on top of the muscle.  I can't say for sure without examining you, but you might need a lift, IF you want to improve the relaxation.  Be sure to see only a board certified plastic surgeon (by ABPS - The American Board of Plastic Surgery) who is a member of ASAPS (The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery) and or a member of ASPS (The American Society of Plastic Surgeons). Also, ask if the PS has an established, high volume breast augmentation practice, performing several hundred breast augmentations each year. Be sure the PS has been in practice for a while, about 20-years might be a good gauge.  All the best, Dr. Joe

Changing implant position to improve sagging

Hello, if you have noticed that your breasts are sagging, simply moving the implants from one pocket to another may not improve the issue.  However, you would need a proper assessment to determine if your nipples are in fact too low, or if the implants need adjustment.

Sagging breasts

When your breasts sag it is because your skin envelope is greater than the amount of breast tissue and in most cases going under the muscle may not correct this.Perhaps  a slightly bigger implant and some fat grafting to oyur breast will give you a more natural look.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Implant pocket

I do not think the specific pocket location can cause sagging or eliminate the risk of sagging. I prefer in general to use the submuscular pocket for most people.

Breast implants under vs. over muscle?

If your goal is to achieve less saggy breasts, then a site change from over the muscle to under the muscle for breast implants will not make your breasts less saggy. Your best option for ptosis is breast lift surgery, not revision breast augmentation. Thank you for sharing your question. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD