23 year old silicone implants now have tender "feverish" red identical areas on lower part of breast?

They are getting increasingly uncomfortable and the left one now has a similar spot above the aureole. When I bend over they look identical but like a sock with a ball at the end.. Could this just be stress from running? (They are DD) I'm 54 very healthy, should I be concerned? If so, how to proceed? My original Dr at Baylor has long retired. Thank you

23 year old implants

As your implants are 23 years old and you have noticed a change in sensation, its important to arrange a review to check the integrity of your implants.  Its possible you may need to remove and replace your implants and if you have notice sagging over time then a lift may also be required.  Arrange a review with a fully qualified plastic surgeon with experience in breast implant revision surgery.

Old Implant Problems

This does not sound like simple side effects from exercise. This could be an infection, implant rupture, or both. Either way, you need to see a new board certified plastic surgeon. I would call the office of your prior surgeon if it is still open, to have them give you the operative reports.
Visit the website for the American board of plastic surgery to find a surgeon board-certified by the American border plastic surgery.

Good Luck!

Dr. Subbio

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants

Thank you for your question about breast implants. Pictures would be helpful.

Without picture, the answers that you are going to get will be speculative in nature.

To be sure what is going on with your breasts, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons for a complete evaluation.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Implant longevity

Thanks for your question. I would definitely make an appointment to see a trusted plastic surgeon near you. The implants should be evaluated to be sure the shells are still intact. You will likely need to consider replacement surgery. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Old gel implants

With the story you have told, it would be my opinion that you be seen  by a plastic surgeon sooner rather than later. Implants that are more than 20 years old certainly could be broken and could be leading to both the red discoloration as well as the discomfort. A simple ultrasound procedure can usually discern whether the implants are intact. Good luck. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend you see another board certified plastic surgeon in your area for work up and evaluation.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Old Implants

Thank you for the question and given the age of your implants and the recent redness I would definitely see another expert in your area and be evaluated.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Feverish spot in 23 year old implants

Thank you for your question. A picture would be most helpful. Your description sounds consistent with  an encapsulated implant in a now droopy breast. The red area needs to be evaluated for a possible infectious risk. I too would recommend you seek out the advice a board certified plastic surgeon in your area  at your convenience. Best of luck!

Bruce Landon, MD

Implant issu

It sounds like you need to be evaluated in person. If they are red and you have a fever, then you likely have an infection. If you mean thin skin then there is a risk the implant might extrude. Best to be seen in person.

Feverish Breast

Thank You for your inquiry.

If breasts are warm you should stay on antibiotics for two more weeks. If breast still feel feverish then I would  definitely make an appointment to see a Board certified  trusted plastic surgeon near you. The implants should be evaluated to be sure the shells are still intact.

Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to recovery concerns after surgery.

Best wishes and luck on your