Bad bruising from Restylane Silk. What can I do?

Way can I do and how long will it last

Restylane silk

I have not had patients develop extensive or significant bruising.  I inject with cannulas to help avoid this.  It will resolve over time.  Arnica and anti-inflammatories will help at this point.

Bruising from Restylane Silk

Bruising is possible after an injection treatment with Restylane Silk. Since you are experiencing this I would avoid any drugs which may thin your blood. In addition, to find relief you can ice the area but avoid touching and applying massage or extra pressure. Also, be sure to keep your experienced injection specialist aware of your healing process post treatment.

Anup Patel, MD, MBA
Orlando Physician

Bruising from Restylane Silk

Thank you for your question.  Bruising after Restylane Silk injections is completely normal.  Prior to injecting any patient with any filler, I always let them know that there is a potential for bruising because lips are especially highly vascularized.  In hopes of preventing or lessening the severity of bruising, I instruct my patients to take Arnica (only if they are not allergic) and to stop blood thinning agents.  Alcohol consumption should also be stopped 48 hours prior to any injection to decrease the risk of bruising.  After the treatment, you may ice the area but the benefits of icing are minimal after 48 hours.  I offer a complimentary photofacial (BBL) treatment to the bruise which decreases the time of bruising by 50%. You should always see a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with extensive training and experience in filler injections.  Silk is a lovely product and results are definitely worth the two days of swelling however, preparation as described above is highly recommended.

Kristine Romine, MD
Phoenix Dermatologic Surgeon

Bad bruising?

I'm sorry to hear about your bruising. This is what i typically recommend.

- Start Arnica 5 days before.

- Avoid aspirin, ibuprofen, fish oil, garlic, alcohol and other supplements 1 week before.

- Ice often during the injection and for 48 hours after. 

- Avoid massage, it can make bruising worse (unless instructed).

See the video link for more tips! 

Best wishes and good luck, Dr. ALDO :)

Top 100 Doctor for Realself 

Realself Core Physician

Aldo Guerra, MD

Bad bruising from Restylane Silk

Lips are extremely sensitive and bruise easily. Arnica may help with the bruising, and most bruises will fade in 7 to 10 days. Since lip augmentation requires advanced injection technique choose an experienced and expert physician injector. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Restylane Silk

A bruise will typically last 7-10 days.  Swelling can last anywhere from 1-2 weeks.  Arnica is a homeopathic medication that you can take to help reduce the inflammation and bruising.  Hang in there.

Grant Stevens, MD

Bruising from Restylane Silk

This can be improved with the VBeam or Excel V laser. It reduces bruises from 10 days to about 1-2 days. It takes less than a minute to do and is comfortable. Other measures are arnica, oral or topical, can help as well.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Knowing What's Normal with Lip Augmentation with Fillers (juvederm, restylane)

I'm not sure when you had your procedure. Bruising and swelling is normal and can last 1-2 weeks after an injection. If you're unhappy with your final results, you can have it reversed with hyaluronidase and try a different technique next time. I recommend injections with cannulas to limit complications. Best, Dr. Emer