Am I likely to need a bone graft for upper teeth dental implants? (photo)

4wks ago I lost my top right tooth, it came out with roots fully attached when I fell over.My left top tooth was left badly chipped. My dentist has restored that tooth with bonding and im currently wearing a splint to hold teeth in place. Id like dental implants, not sure if I need 2/3 teeth replacing. Would i require a dental supported bridge? Do you think a bone graft would be required? Also I have a gap in between my teeth,maybe to do with my frenum? Can this be corrected with implants.

Dental Implants after tooth knocked out

The prognosis for the tooth that was placed back in the socket is not going to be very good in the long term.  At the very least it may require a root canal.  You will most likely see significant bone resorption around that tooth and possibly the adjacent tooth or teeth. You must have the teeth checked oftern and if you see reorption of bone then having the tooth removed and the site grafted will allow for a dental implant and will also protect the adjacent teeth.  A dental bridge is not the best choice because it will require "grinding down" the healthy teeth next to it and a bridge only has a limited life span (5-7 years many studies suggest). A dental implant is often the most esthetic and it will most likely last you for the rest of your life.  Discuss this with your dentist and a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  The cost of a single implant and restoration is almost the same as a 3 unit bridge and it will last a lot longer than a bridge.  

Phoenix Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Options after losing a tooth...

Before you consider dental implants, I would recommend consulting a cosmetic dentist to discuss your options.  You may be a great candidate for a non-implant supported fixed bridge.  They look very natural and their appearance is often times more cosmetic than an implanted tooth.  Additionally, the cost of a fixed (non-implant supported) bridge is usually about 25% of the price of an implant.  

If you prefer implants, then I would recommend getting a graft to improve the look of your implanted tooth.  In looking at all of your teeth, I would highly recommend that you consult a cosmetic dentist to discuss improving the overall look of your teeth.  Good luck and I hope this helps. Follow me if you have more questions.
Sarah Thompson, DMD