Can I have bonding on my front teeth without it looking disproportionate? (Photo)

I've been living with a diastema between my two front teeth since I was a kid and I'm now planning to have it closed with dental bonding. Do you think I'm a good candidate for it? Or will it look "off" compared to the rest of my teeth?

Can I have bonding on my front teeth without it looking disproportionate?

If you close the space with bonding the front teeth will appear very wide.  I would suggest minimal orthodontics to move those teeth toward the midline prior to bonding.

Dental Bonding is Not The Answer

Although you are a great candidate for certain cosmetic dental procedures, if you want to close the gap between your teeth I wouldn't recommend dental bonding.

If your dentist used bonding material to fill the gap your teeth would look and feel too wide and bulky. Because it is a rather large space it wouldn't be able to withstand any sort of biting or pressure so the strength and durability of the bond would be in question.  

I would recommend scheduling an appointment with your cosmetic dentist who will examine your teeth and gums to see if you are a good candidate for Invisilign. Invisalign is the clear alternative to conventional wires and brackets and could fill your gap in as little as 12 to 18 months. 

If you are not a candidate for orthodontic treatments I would suggest porcelain veneers. Porcelain veneers will make your smile more proportionate and fill the gap giving you a beautiful smile.

Good luck and please post an after picture!

Michael Fulbright, DDS
Redondo Beach Dentist

If your goal is to close the space between the front teeth entirely then bonding to the teeth will make them too wide. If you are OK leaving a little space then it may be possible. The best solution would be to align the teeth with braces and cut the ligament that runs between the two front teeth causing the gap. This is called a frenectomy.

Graham T. Egger, DDS
Federal Way Dentist

Bonding candidate? ... #DrSoftTouch

Based on your photo, you appear to be a great candidate for cosmetic dentistry.  While bonding would probably work fine, it is not going to last very long (i.e., more than a few months).  I say this because you would have to get so much composite bonding on these teeth, that the composite wold not be very strong or secure.  This is why you are a great candidate for veneers.  Veneers would provide a solution that will last 20-30 years without a problem.  Also, porcelain veneers are very, very resistant to staining.  Whereas dental bonding is very susceptible to staining.  I suggest that you look into both options, so that you may compare and contrast and make an educated decision.  Good luck and I hope this helps. Follow me if you have more questions.
Sarah Thompson, DMD

Closing diastema space between front teeth

From the photo it appears by only doing bonding on front two teeth, the teeth will appear too wide.  Definitely get a cosmetic imaging showing the before and after before you start treatment.
For best results you might want to consider four front teeth porcelain veneers in order to spread the width of the teeth for a natural looking smile.
Best regards,
Dr. Maddahi

Kourosh Maddahi, DDS
Beverly Hills Dentist

You need more information to decide if you are a candidate for CLOSING your DIASTEMA

When you are ready to see how you will look by closing your diastema, go for a ' smile trial'. Interview the dentist you have chosen and ask to see photos of comparable cases.  They need to do a custom model and wax up.  You can return to see the model with the space closed and do a try in to evaluate how you will look.  It is so worth the investment and time and will give you a great feel for the result.  Sometimes the teeth are so disproportionate that it won't work and you need braces and sometimes its amazing how great it looks!!  GO for it!!!

Wendy S. Spektor, DDS
Bellevue Dentist

Your front two teeth would look way too wide by just doing bonding on the front two teeth.  However, you could have porcelain veneers on the four front teeth and then the proportions would look normal and the space would be filled.  In my professional opinion, that is a very good way for you to go.  Your spacing problem would be solved and you would have a nice smile within a 2-3 week period of time.
Alternative treatments are orthodontics to equalize the spaces between each of the six front teeth, and then bonding on the six front teeth. 

Norman Huefner, DDS
Laguna Niguel Dentist

Midline - Diastema Closure

Often dental bonding is used to close spaces. We cosmetic dentists are very fortunate to be able to offer this service to patients.  When spaces get large, bonding can make teeth look too large.  In your case bonding will make your teeth too big and too square.  They will look "off" off when compared to the rest of your teeth. If you walked into my office and asked for a consult, I would suggest Invisalign treatment.  Often, when you close all the spaces, get all the teeth in the right spot, with the right alignment and the proper bite, there is no need for bonding or veneering. And you are left with your natural, laughable, kissable smile!   A good Invisalign Doc or orthodontist will be a better bet for you than bonding. 

More than one procedure needed.

From what I can see in the photo you have provided, I would agree that some orthodontic movement of your teeth closer together would be the first step. An orthodontist can advise you to what extent you would need orthodontics. After, the remaining space can be closed with two porcelain veneers. Porcelain veneers are going to usually last much longer without any discoloration, staining or chipping. Another option is exactly like a case I did several years ago, where the gentleman didn't want any orthodontics. In this case, we placed porcelain veneers on the front four teeth in order to proportionately disperse the large space, therefore making all four teeth slightly wider. The case turned out beautiful and you couldn't even tell there was ever a space or that the teeth were wider. There are options.

John F. Calvert, DDS
Ketchum Dentist

Closing Your Diastema

Dental bonding will close the diastema, but your front teeth will look disproportionately wider in comparison with the rest of your teeth. Due to the width of your diastema, a better option for closing it would be to move your teeth closer to each other with orthodontic treatment.  Orthodontics may not fully close the gap between your teeth, but once the gap is made smaller and all the teeth are in better position, dental bonding can be done for a more natural look, if that's what is needed.  I would recommend considering orthodontics first before doing the bonding at this point.

Timothy C. Chang, DDS
Federal Way Dentist