Was it a waste of money to get the CoolSculpting done before a Tummy Tuck?

I had coolsculpting done to my upper and lower abs (2). I may want to do a tummy tuck next year. Was the coolsculpting a waste of money or will they stay with me after the tummy tuck?

CoolSculpting® can offer long-lasting results.

CoolSculpting® is a non-surgical body contouring procedure that can eliminate stubborn fat. Men and women who maintain a healthy, stable weight following their CoolSculpting® treatment can expect to enjoy long-lasting results. You likely decided to get CoolSculpting® on your abdomen to refine your stomach contours, which should offer you an improved appearance and a boost in confidence. I don’t see your investment in CoolSculpting® as a waste. If you decide to get a tummy tuck next year, your plastic surgeon will be able to further refine your abdominal contours, and your CoolSculpting® treatment should nicely complement your tummy tuck results.

CoolSculpting Fat Shouldn't Come Back

I certainly wouldn't consider your previous CoolSculpting treatment to be a waste of money. The fat removed during that procedure likely won't come back, which means that the results of your tummy tuck will look even better than they would have if you hadn't had prior CoolSculpting treatments. After your tummy tuck, you can expect a tightened, toned abdomen and a smaller waist.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Coolsculpt before tummy tuck

There is actually a lot of benefit to coolsculpting the upper abdomen before a tummy tuck.  This is because a tummy tuck usually removes very little actual fat in this area.  As a result, your post-op look will be better than if you had not done the coolsculpt.  Good luck!

CS is worth it

Hi StacyGrandAdventure.  The fat removed with the CS is permanent and will provide improved contours regardless of future surgeries.  It is possible during your tummy tuck your surgeon will remove additional fat for even more shaping.  The tuck aims towards tightening the abdominal wall/muscles and removing extra skin as well.  It wasn't a waste if you are enjoying the results, especially if you don't go on to the tuck. Take care,

Coolsculpting and Tummy Tuck

Coolsculpting is not a waste of money since it can permanently reduce stubborn fat in only 35 minutes with the new applicator.  In the future you may or may not need a tummy tuck but this will be a permanent improvement for you.  Best, Dr. Green

CoolSculpting and Tummy Tuck?

Dear Stacy,

It definitely was not waste of your money since both procedures actually can compliment each other, but of course it depends on your individual goals and plans. CoolSculpting is the fastest growing fat-removing procedure and if properly done can bring you great results without surgery or downtime. New CoolAdvantage applicators take only 35 minutes to treat  and produce better results with significantly less possibility of delayed onset pain syndrome. Always plan a bit ahead and consult with your Doctor who will guide you through all available options.

Best!

Edward Fruitman. M.D.

Trifecta Med Spa, NYC

Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what. Coolsculpting permanently destroys the fat, and for that reason it was not a waste of money.  

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Coolsculpting and Tummy Tuck and VASER HI DEF, Oh My!

It's not a waste of money, because Coolsculpting can target stubborn areas of fat. However, you may be a candidate for a tummy tuck AND liposuction, which can be done at the same time. I would recommend VASER Hi Def liposuction. Combined with ThermiRF/ultrasound and fat grafting to help with fat removal, contouring, skin tightening and toning, VASER can sculpt and contour the body. I recommend getting a consultation with a hi-def physique expert to go over your options. Best, Dr. Emer

Coolsculpting before tummy tuck

The tummy tuck would most likely take care of the areas of concern. However, if you are delaying the surgery, why not get it done now and see results until surgery. Adding Z Wave and Cooladvantage will improve the results. See link.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Waste of money?

No I don't think so.  The cool sculpting will actually help the outcome of your future tummy tuck imo.  Unlike straight liposuction, there is no scarring from this technique of fat reduction and any fat that is no longer a part of you is always a good thing.  Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon