I am 27 years old and I have no children. Do I have tubular breasts? (Photo)

I am 27years old and I have no children. All my life I wondered why my breasts were shaped the way they are and always wondered if something is wrong with me. Can they be corrected to look normal or should I leave them as is? are they life threatening? Will I be able to breast feed with them if I get pregnant?

Breast asymmetry with constricted, not tubular breast

Thank you for your question.  You do have a significant breast asymmetry with underdevelopment of the left breast.  Although the left breast is slightly constricted fortunately you do not have a classic tuberous breast.

Possibly breast augmentation with different sized implants may give you a nice result.  However it is important that you see a board certified plastic surgeon for an examination.  If there is significant asymmetry in the nipple areola position a lift on one side may be needed but I cannot determine that from the photographs that you provided.

Do I have tuberous breasts?

You are not alone. Women often wonder if their breast shape is "normal". Breasts come in all shapes and sizes and are often asymmetric. All of these variations are normal. You do have a mild component of tuberous breast deformity, again a normal variant in breast shape. This is not at all harmful to you and will not impact your ability to breast feed in any way. If the shape of your breasts is not bothersome, then no surgery is necessary. Surgery could change the shape of your breasts if this is your goal. The operation would involve both implants and a lift. There are risks with all surgeries so be sure to talk with a plastic surgeon about the pros and cons of all surgical options. Best of luck to you! 

Do I have tubular breasts?

Hello!  Thank you for your question! Given your photos, it does appear that you have a mild tuberous breast/constricted breast deformity.  Only an examination could tell for sure. The standard procedure would be placement of an implant (or tissue expander, depending on the lower pole of your breast) as well as a circumareolar breast lift. These modalities would correct the issues with tuberous breast: constricted breast at the inferior pole, via breast prosthetic; scoring of the tissue to release the bands; lowering the inframammary fold; correcting the herniation of breast tissue into the areolae; and decreasing the overall size of the areolae. These are the hallmarks of tuberous breasts.  Your left breast certainly portrays more of a tuberous breast deformity than your left, regardless, they should have no functional consequences with them and get them corrected only of the shape and asymmetry bothers you. 

Consult with a plastic surgeon well-versed in breast surgery and discuss your goals and expectations. S/he will then be able to examine and discuss the various options and assist you in deciding which decision os the right one for you, given your desires. I would expect a very pleasing result for you! Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Shape is slightly tuberous

Thanks for your question and pictures. It does appear that your shape is slightly tuberous and this is a normal variant. It does not "require" surgery and the shape should not adversely affect your ability to breast feed. If you do become pregnant and the breast stretches out naturally, this might allow for easier correction in the future if you choose to do so. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

What do you think of my breast shape?

Your breast shape does reflect a breast shape that  has the features of a tuberous shape.  This is definitely a common breast shape and you should have no different concerns than anyone else with other common breast shapes.  It certainly be modified to take on a varied breast shape if you prefer.  Always seek the advice of qualified, certified Plastic Surgeons when you do your search for  a professional to help you with this.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon 

Tubular breasts?

You do appear to have a slight tuberous deformity, but it requires correction only if it bothers you!  A tubular deformity is not associated with any health risks or difficulty breastfeeding. Breasts like yours are not at all uncommon, so don't let it stress you!

Earl E. Ferguson III, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

You appear to have constricted ptotic breasts whose appearance could be improved with surgery but they are not a health risk and should not interfere with breast feeding

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Do I have tubular breasts?

I respectfully disagree with Dr. Steely.  With the usual caveat that one cannot be sure without an exam in person, I think that you do have a tuberous breast.  On the left very likely and possibly on the right as well.  But there is nothing medically dangerous about this condition.  It will not interfere with pregnancy or breast feeding nor will it increase your risk of breast cancer.  It "needs" correction only if you wish it.  Correction is by breast augmentation.

William A. Terranova, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Breast shape

Good morning!

Looking at your photos, while you do have a slight (and perfectly normal!!) conical shape to your breasts, you do not have a tubular breast.  There are no health risks with your breasts, and your ability to breast feed should be on par with the rest of the population.

Your right breast seems a bit fuller in volume than the left (also a normal occurence).  This volume difference if it bothers you can be corrected with augmentation surgery.

Bottom line- your breasts are well within the normal range of size and shape of every other woman walking the face of the earth.

I hope this helps

Robert Steely, MD, FACS