How long will results last for a Mini Face lift with submentoplasty?

Just received a quote for a Mini lift and submentoplasty cost 1600.00 from a double board Plastic Surgeon. My age is 56. How long can I expect results to last. I am in great health and work out daily. I cannot afford to have this ever done again. Quote is from a double board-certified plastic surgeon. Received another quote for 7000 for quick lift and liposuction. Confusion on which way to go

Mini facelift durability

Every surgeon performs facelifts with their own technique and it is impossible to predict how long a particular surgeon's facelift results will last. I have performed many different variants of facelifts and have been most pleased with the results and durability of the deep plane facelift technique. With every facelift that removes skin, there is a permanent change, but how long a patient feels their results are "holding up" and not in need of revision is subjective. Some patients may have a wonderful result from a lift that takes 10+ years off of their appearance and feel that they never again need revision, while others wish to maintain the same degree of smoothness of their jawline that they saw in the first few years after their lift and therefore seek revision at 7 to 10 years when they begin to see any change in the jaw/neckline - - even though they are still far better off than before their surgery. Of course, avoidance of smoking and sun exposure help to prolong all facelift results. 

Hope that helps and best wishes, 

Dr. Donath

Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mini facelift is misleading

Ignoring the price, which seems wrong, the idea of a mini facelift is misleading. Any procedure that is going to have a real and lasting result must involve tightening deeper tissues of the face. There is nothing mini about working on the SMAS. While minor variations in incision length and amount of dissection exists, it is still a real operation with real risks and real downtime. Anything less, that I might classify as a mini procedure is probably not worth it. Those patients would be better served with non invasive options. 

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Longevity of Results Varies Based on Surgeon

Because each surgeon has his or her own preferred approach to facelift surgery, there's no way of saying for sure how long you can expect your results to last. "Mini facelift" is not a regulated term, which means there's no consistent expectation from surgeon to surgeon. Mini facelift often refers to a limited-incision technique that produces less significant results. It can be appropriate for some people, but if you'd like to get your money's worth, I think a traditional facelift would be a better use of your resources. You can expect those results to last for about a decade. Of course, without a consultation or photos, it's difficult to make a recommendation. The best way to know what you'll get for your $1,600 is to ask the surgeon directly. 

James N. Romanelli, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Facelifting #woundhealing #cosmeticsurgery #beauty #tmbcosmeticsurgery

Dear Kansas City1412

Thank you for your question! The cost of a facelift depends on the amount of work required- so the price should reflect long lasting results.

With Warm Regards

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

I think there is something wrong or misunderstood with that quote. It probably costs the surgeon that much just to do the surgery if done in a private certified facility. Mini lift is not a name of a specific surgery and is so loosely used that without an understanding of what the specific surgeon using it means, there is no way we can give a meaningful comment. Also the term double board certified is not helpful without knowing what those boards are. If they do not include either the Amer Board of Plastic Surgery or Facial Plastic Surgery, they are meaningless boards. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Thank you for your question. It would be helpful to know your goals and desires with facial plastic surgery. A mini facelift brings a more youthful appearance to the face and is done with smaller incisions and often used for younger patients whereas the quick lift and liposuction addresses a larger amount of excess and fatty skin more directly. Your goals and desires will determine your surgical route with these two options as well as potentially explore more. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon whose office has imaging technology which allows a patient and surgeon to see how certain procedures will affect that patient's aesthetic appearance.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift options and technique

A minilift refers to the length of the incision being used to perform your facelift. Some patients come in with early signs of aging so a mini lift is appropriate as the incision is much shorter than a traditional facelift incision.   Some patients come to me insisting on only a mini incision- so for those patients as well, I am happy to perform a mini lift. No matter what kind of incision is used, there has to be some tightening of the underlying SMAS layer in order to ensure longevity of the results. 

The perceived advantage of a mini lift - is that the length of the incision is smaller- so theoretically, the scar is shorter and less visible (however, a meticulously closed traditional facelift incision, should also be imperceptible when healed). The disadvantage of the mini lift is that less of a lift cam be obtained as less overall skin is removed and less tightening of the SMAS is performed due to the limited access from the shorter incision. 

It looks like one consult suggested only liposucion for your neck and the other consult suggested a neck lift- why one over the other would depend on what your neck currently looks like. If you never want to go through this again, my suggestion, without having seen your photos, is to consider the neck lift at this time as it will correct whatever aging has occurred there already.

Posting pictures will help further define my recommendations. 

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS

How long will results last for a Mini Face lift with submentoplasty

Thank you for question.  A photo would be helpful.  Full facelift would have much better and longer lasting results. Consult with a Board certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best wishes!

Mini facelifts give mini results

In our practice, we do not perform mini facelifts due to the fact that they give mini results they do not last  very long. Shop quality, not price, since this is your face and it's very important to have the results done properly to give natural result. The goal of a lower face and neck lift is to tighten loose facial and neck skin, tighten loose facial and neck muscles, and remove fatty deposits in the neck as well as lifting the jowls. For more information, many examples and our current price list, please see the link and the video below

Mini or quick lift face lift?

My advice frankly is that you may be better off doing nothing than spending money on something that's fairly likely to be disappointing.  

Think carefully before committing.  Most mini lifts have micro results IMO.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS
Certified, Am Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, Am. Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD