Once the fat is removed is there flabby hanging skin?

Once the treatment is done what is your skin like is it droopy

CoolSculpting® candidates have good skin elasticity.

CoolSculpting® doesn't remove enough fat that hanging skin should be a concern after treatment.  However, your CoolSculpting® consultation should include a careful evaluation of skin quality and overall candidacy to determine if this non-surgical body contouring procedure is appropriate for you. If you have significant skin laxity or already have excess skin, then a different procedure may be better suited for you, as CoolSculpting® won't help improve the appearance of loose skin. People who see the best results from CoolSculpting® are typically at or near their ideal weight.

Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what.

Since the fat reduction is gradual with cool sculpting, it allows the skin to retract naturally to some degree.

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Tightening loose skin after Coolsculpting.

This is a great question. When I evaluate a patient for treatment of localized body fat, I evaluate skin, fat, and muscle if the abdomen is involved. If the site involved has a certain amount of laxity, then I recommend CoolSculpt and radio frequency tightening with Tripollar or Thermage, depending upon the needs of the patient. When I perform the radio frequency, I tighten the entire area, not just that which has had fat busting. This protocol gives a much more aesthetic  result than either just fat busting or fat busting and radio frequency of only the area under the hand-piece. The result is more like a shrink wrap! That being said, CoolSculpt does not create laxity. It is just important for the physician to evaluate each patient individually and treat according to specific needs and anticipated outcomes.  Most patients are not aware that laxity and fat are two separate issues.

Coolsculpting and skin tightening

Coolsculpting is a non-invasive  procedure that works on fat reduction not skin tightening. However that being said, a consult with a coolsculpting office is warranted to see if you are a good candidate for this procedure. Once you have a consult, you and your clinician can decide if your desired results can be achieved with the selected procedures.

Steven H. Dayan, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting vs SculpSure and HI DEF 4D CONTOURING

Non invasive fat reduction technologies like coolsculpting and sculpsure do well to improve fat reduction and contour but do minimal for skin retraction. If you have a lot of skin it needs to be removed. I suggest seeing an expert to determine if you are a candidate. Best, Dr. Emer.

CoolSculpting Candidate

A lot of this depends on how the skin is before the treatment.  A good CoolSculpting Candidate has small/medium size fat bulges, but are generally in good shape (close to their ideal weight).  Make sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon who offers CoolSculpting to see which procedure you're a candidate for. 

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Loose Skin and Coolsculpting

While patient selection is key, Coolsculpting does not lead to issues with loose skin if the treatment is performed at a Certified Coolsculpting Center. Consult in person with a physician who directs a Certified Coolsculpting Center to understand your options. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Flabby skin after #CoolSculpting?

Dear dianne banks:In my experience, even when multiple procedures are performed in the same area, the skin always retracts over the diminished fat after CoolSculpting. In our practice, we have several devices to tighten the skin, which can be used in areas of CoolSculpting if a patient also has skin laxity. These include #Pellevé and #Ultherapy.  All the best,  Dr. Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Thank you for your question. CoolSculpting usually does not cause large amounts of loose skin. However, this depends on a number of things. I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. This way, you can explain your concerns, learn more about the procedure, and determine if you are a candidate. Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

CoolSculpting Results

The results of CoolSculpting are based on a number of factors. It is important to schedule an evaluation with a board certified plastic surgeon who will be able to discuss the benefits and risks of CoolSculpting.

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon