I had abdominal Liposuction 2 years ago and would like to do it again. Is that safe?

I had abdominal liposuction 2 years ago (not a tummy tuck). Is it safe to have it done again to remove additional fat? I went into early menopause and gained 20 pounds all in the belly since then. I would like to do lipo again. I had no problems the first time, it was a breeze.

Yes repeat liposuction is possible if skin tone is good

Repeat liposuction is possible but there is a potential for more skin irregularities. Each surgeon has their own technique and I would defer to their experience. I prefer to use a modification of the SAFE procedure in order to minimize but not completely eliminate the potential for irregularities. Two factors play into the final outcome:

1) The surgeon's technique and skill: It takes experience to avoid overaggressive liposuction and to minimize the potential for excessive irregularities.

2) The patient's skin laxity. If the individual has excessively lax skin, it will not properly contract following liposuction

Second liposuction after weight gain?

Thank you for asking about your second liposuction.

Yes, if you have gained weight and it ended up in the same area, you can have liposuction again. There may be internal scar and your plastic surgeon will probably recommend using a machine, such as Microaire, that can easily get through the scar.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Liposuction

If you are healthy and you are a candidate, then it is possible that you can undergo liposuction again.

Repeat lipo

Thank you for your question. Certainly repeat lipo can be done. Liposuction is not a weight loss operation. It will address fat above muscles but not internal fat. Please consult with a board certified PS for evaluation and to discuss your goals.

Getting the results you want with VASER Hi Def, ThermiRF, ultrasound, fat grafting

You can get liposuction twice. For best results with liposuction it is best to be at or near your ideal weight and shouldn't be used for weight loss. A formal assessment is needed to determine if you're a candidate. I recommend VASER HI DEF with ThermiRF, ultrasound and fat grafting to get the most fat removal, skin tightening, and contouring. If there is loose skin, a tummy tuck can be performed at the same time. I recommend getting a formal evaluation with a body contouring expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Is it safe to do liposuction again.

You can safely have liposuction a second time, though some of the new fat may be inside the abdomen rather than where you were treated in the past. Also consider that liposuction has a very poor record to control weight, and a diet and fitness program can help you avoid a second procedure.

Not necessarily unsafe

Hello, thank you for your question. It is not necessarily unsafe to have liposuction performed in the same area 2 years later; however, you should discuss your wishes with an experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon who can determine if the fat is treatable with lipo. Your plastic surgeon can examine the treatment area, review your health history and help you decide if liposuction is the right way to reduce the excess fat. Best wishes.

Adam L. Basner, MD

If some of the 20 lbs that you've gained went back to the layer of fat padding beneath your skin, it is perfectly safe to retreat the area.  I would be suspicious however that this time the fat may be stored inside your belly cavity and may not be amenable to liposuction so visit with an ABPS Bd Certified plastic surgeon for a consultation and recommendation.  Good luck and best wishes,

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD