Is it dangerous to have blood building up in breast 2 1/2 months after explant surgery?

Suddenly I am dealing with fluid build up. I went back to PS for an aspiration, and he removed about 100cc's of blood. He was surprised it was blood, rather than fluid. It filled back up w/in a week, and was aspirated again. And another 100 cc's of blood, then finally a 3rd visit to the PS, to get a drain put in, and another 100ccs of blood came out during that procedure. My question is this, is blood normal? Will a drain fix this? How much blood can I lose before it becomes dangerous.

Fluid post removal

This can occur and usually simple apsiration is enough.After a drain is placed it should cease.If it is bright red blood then it would need to be explored.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Fluid seromas after implant removal

A recurrent fluid accumulation can occur and is usually best treated with a drain if there is a delay in resolution. Your treating surgeon is following an appropriate plan of action. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Breast Implant Explant

If the capsule was not removed at the time of breast implant explant, then a capsulectomy is needed and send the capsule for pathological studies. Drains are used after the capsulectomy.

#BreastImplantRemoval - blood building up 2 1/2 months post-op

It is somewhat unusual to have this problem at this relatively late stage and I wonder if it is, perhaps, a seroma with some blood in it.  Significant, unexplained bleeding at 2 1/2 months is rare (though anything is possible) particularly in the absence of trauma.

Aspiration is an appropriate first step, followed by repeated aspirations and, if necessary, insertion of a drain.  The drain can stay in for a week or so and, assuming that the drainage has diminished, it can then be removed and you can see what happens.

If, however, the fluid does not diminish and/or it reaccumulates  you may need to consider that the capsule - the scar tissue surrounding your implant - may not have been adequately removed (if it was at all, which is not always necessary at an initial breast implant removal).  In that case you may need a total or partial capsulectomy on the affected side.

You should, of course, address this with your own plastic surgeon who can assess you in person for this evolving situation.

I'm sorry for the problems you're having but I hope this has helped and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of RealSelf100

Bleeding 2 1/2 months post-op.

You have cavities where your implants were previously present, and nothing but space to allow accumulation of blood. Yes, this is abnormal 2 1/2 months post-op, but obviously something that needs to be dealt with.

Aspiration was a proper first step, as was re-aspiration. Blood rather than seroma means a vessel opened up, and these usually clot and seal themselves, especially as the bleeding is evacuated and the pressure decompressed. If this is pure blood, you may want to ask your surgeon to check your hemoglobin or complete blood count. 300cc is not a dangerous amount to lose, but if it continues, re-operation to seal the oozing vessel may be required. Keep in close contact with your surgeon. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon