Is Ultherapy appropriate? (Photo)

For this degree of looseness and wrinkling? I am 59

Ultherapy or surgery depending on what results you desire

Based on your age and picture it appears that you are a good candidate to get some tightening and smoothing  of your neck skin with Ultherapy.  Ultherapy works by causing your body to replace old collagen with new collagen and over time the new will lift and tighten the area.  Depending on the degree of improvement that you desire, you  may want to consider the possibility of surgery.  I would suggest that you have a personal consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or one of their Ulthera providers.  They can talk with you and show you before and after photos of their patients that have had Ultherapy and those who opted for surgery.  That way you can get a better idea of which option will most satisfy you.  Understanding your goals and expectations is key to satisfaction!

Ultherapy Benefit

With your degree of skin laxity you would need multiple Ultherapy treatments for any noticeable result. To me, this would not be cost effective. I think surgery would be your best option. But, if you are absolutely opposed to surgery then you might want to look into ThermiTight as an option. Hope this helps.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Ultherapy for the Aging Neck

It is important to always receive an in person consultation from a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Based on your photo, it looks as if you may be a good candidate for Ultherapy if you are looking for a minimally invasive option. Ultherapy works by administering ultrasound energy to specific depths of skin and muscle with precise ultrasound guidance, which causes tissue tightening and collagen production. Using ultrasound imaging, transducers with different depths are selected and the ultrasound energy can target precise depths of the patients’ lax skin and soft tissue including lax connective tissue of the face and neck.

The results from an Ultherapy treatment work in a two-step process. The first stage is the contraction and denaturing of collagen, which causes an immediate tissue tightening, and resultant lift. The second stage occurs over time while the body’s healing response builds new collagen (neocollagenesis).  New collagen production is generated over 2-3 months and often continues for 6 months after the treatment

Due to your age, you may need 2-3 treatments to see great results.  It is also important to use a medically oriented skin care program to stimulate collagen from the skin's surface.  You may also want to consider a non-ablative fraxel treatment in-between Ultherapy treatments to maximize your body's ability to make collagen.

Good Luck!

Laurie A. Casas, MD, FACS

If the looseness is moderate, sometimes laser resurfacing at the same time or Thermi RF is preferred.

Ultherapy can be a great choice for people in their late 50s and early 60s experiencing mild to moderate skin laxity on the jawline and neck. You do appear to be an appropriate candidate from your photo, but an in-person consultation with a board-certified dermatologist is necessary to say for sure. If the looseness is moderate, sometimes laser resurfacing at the same time or Thermi RF is preferred. If the looseness is severe and you can pick up the loose skin and cover your ears, then a facelift is the only viable option. An experienced dermatologist should be able to determine what treatment will give you the best results.

Kimberly Butterwick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Is Ultherapy appropriate?

For severe skin laxity and wrinkling, a surgical neck lift will definitely give you a more noticeable result than Ulthera® laser. Please consult a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation.    

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Ultherapy may be an option for your.  An Ultherapy treatment will initiate the regenerative process but the tightening of the neck will occur over a period of three to six months.More than one treatment may be necessary to achieve the desired result. I recommend a consultation to determine whether or not you are a candidate for the treatment and the number of treatments required.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ultherapy for loose neck skin- a perfect choice

Since you don't seem to have significant jowls, Ultherapy should work real well for you  but keep in mind- it takes a year to see the end result after a single treatment.  and multiple treatments may be required.  For faster results, consider a necklift, which is the 'gold standard' in tightening skin.
Hope this helps!

Steven Yarinsky, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Ultherapy is a good option

Hi and thank you for your question!

Just based on the photo, which is hard to make a truly accurate assessment, but I do feel you would respond to & be satisfied with non-surgical options. Looks like I would recommend Ultherapy, and then depending on your response to that, maybe also a resurfacing laser, such as the Sciton Halo or Contour or the Venus Viva.

We have many lasers and energy based devices in our practice, so we would decide which one is most appropriate, given your skin type and desired downtime, if any.

Feel free call us with any questions. Best of luck!

Dr. Grant Stevens  

Grant Stevens, MD

Ultherapy and lasers to tighten the neck

Ultherapy would be great in combination with Clear and Brilliant laser or Ematrix RF or fractional co2 to redefine and tighten your neck. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Ultherapy is your best choice.

I think the better question is whether Ultherapy is your best choice. Looking at your photo there is a fair amount of wrinkling, but also some fat in the under chin. What makes a good choice of treatment? We at Key Laser, usually choose Ultherapy treatments in sets of one, two, or three, with one treatment being our choice for beginning or very mild changes, a set of two treatments for moderate aging. For more than moderate changes, which is what your photos suggest, I would suggest a set of three Ultherapy treatments, for the full neck and cheeks. Treatments being spaced about four weeks apart. We combine each of these treatments with full neck ThermiSmooth, a gentle skin tightening RF energy treatment done just before each Ultherapy treatment. There are other treatment choices as well, a newer choice would be Infini RF, which is a skin tightening treatment usually done in a series of three or four treatment sessions at one month intervals.

Douglas J. Key, MD
Portland Dermatologic Surgeon